News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What do you think.

Started by lescar, February 15, 2010, 03:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel

Hi Les;

One thing that many articles recommend is not having the track parallel to the edges of the layout.

You may also want to consider a scenic divider.

Also, like a real railroad, what is the purpose of the railroad?  Define some economic reason for its existence.

The above will keep the layout interesting over a longer term.

Have fun.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Joe Satnik

Dear Les,

Lengthening the outer straight or shortening the inner straight has the same effect: 

Middle of car overhang reduced on outer oval,  end of car overhang unaffected on inner oval.

You may have a point with shortening, though, as you would get closer to the crossover, which forces (warps) the mainlines to 2-3/8" separation. 

I notice that the left crossover at the bottom right of your layout is making an "S-curve" with the inner oval. 

Move the crossover to the left (so there is at least a "longest loco or car length" between the inner curve and the crossover) to correct this.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lescar

Thanks, will see what I can come up with.

Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

Joe323

Also, like a real railroad, what is the purpose of the railroad?  Define some economic reason for its existence.

For example I did some research on my railroad here in Staten Island , NY to justify its existence.  I came up with 4 reasons all of which will be modeled in some form.
1) New York Container terminal (Intermodal Service)
2) Con Edison has a coal fired power plant which need a constant supply
3) Passenger service The Staten Island railway is like the NYC subway but open/elevated.
4) Garbage Removal from NYC is sometimes done by rail.

full maxx

here is my addition... before and after   lots of room for other stuff
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

lescar

full maxx:

It looks like your doing the same thing I'm doing. JUMPPING IN WITH BOTH FEET...   ;D  I just ordered more track from The Favorite spot, to add on to my temporary layout, the next step is build the bench work. I'm using a welding table for the layout now.  What is the size of your total layout now with the addition, I'm trying to get a idea for the size of mine.  Also your track looks a little close to that one edge, are you planning on putting any edging around it?

Les

full maxx

yeah I have kinda shifted it a little to get away from the edges ...the long side is 9' 6" and the other is 8' ...I need to get a pack of the half 22" radius because it is in the slightest bind right now, with a short piece of 22" if will be totally relaxed
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

full maxx

i am planning to get some plexiglass to put around the outside as a wall...my 2-8-0 has hit the floor three times , but it was just the engine and tender...I say my like it is but honestly it all belongs to my 4yo, he will be 5 next month

lescar

full maxx:

What is the radius your using on the lower half of the picture, I have been trying to do something like that but haven't been able to get the correct radius.  With the new size of your layout, how are you laying out your track connections so you can get a reliable track conductivity for the DCC.  I went out and bought spare rail joint's and I'm attempting to try and solder wire to them.  I bought a couple of the Atlas rail joint with wires but the wire size is a little small for the DCC system I'm using.

Nigel:, Joe323: 

I originally started researching the background of the rail systems here around where I live (Las Vegas, Nevada), and found out that the Amtrak station, Union Pacific rail yard have pulled out. So there is not much here anymore, there are a few side spurs that service a cement plant ( I think) up north of here and haven't been able to find out where the hopper cars are going/coming, there is also some type of industrial complex that has a bunch of tank and hopper cars that's down south of here.  But I have not had a chance to go find out what type materials that are being carried, I keep forgetting to get the name of the company's to try a research them.  I've been using Google Earth to locate most of the side spurs around here but it doesn't give much information on the company's.

Les

full maxx

the outside of the double and the"lower" are both 22" radius

Joe323

Les:

Of course it doesn't have to be today you could go back a few years to find an economic reason for your RR to exist.  You could also find out what companies are in the industrial complex near you and then Google then to find out what type of product they sell and then go from there.

If youare doing a southwest desert scheme it doesn't have to say Las Vegas on it does it?

For me combining realism with some representation of realism works best (Given that I like most of us, probably have a limited amount of space for a model RR). 

CG04

full maxx,

What are those pictures on your walls?  They don't look like train room pictures to me.  My CEO has been going to train shows with me and she is in charge of the decor in my room.  AND, your layout is not near cluttered enough.
BTW, my layout will be looking a whole bunch like yours, with the "L".  My track is right next to the edge right now, but I will add an extension on each side as preventitive maintenance.

Clif

lescar

full Maxx:

So would it be safe to assume that all your curves are ether 22" or 18", and if so how dose your bigger stuff run on them any derailing problems, I'm not real concerned if they   over hang a little bit most of the cars will be 40' or 50'.

Joe323:

No it doesn't need to say Las Vegas, and as for the scheme it will probably be a Southwest Desert, running the Union Pacific, Santa Fe, and maybe others that are in this area.

Les

ABC

He can likely run a 2-8-0 on 18" radius without many problems, but his 2-8-4 probably doesn't like the 18" radius, so he probably run that on 22" radius. His Acela would likely need 22" radius because of the passenger cars, the loco can negotiate 18" radius. I recall full max saying several times that all his stuff runs pretty well.

lescar

I think I recall him saying something about it, If that's the case then what I have planed on running will work just fine.  I'm actually working on an addition to the original layout design, and will be posting it when it's done.

Les