News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What do you think.

Started by lescar, February 15, 2010, 03:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

the inner loop is 18 and the outer and the lower part of the "L" in the pic is 22 everything runs fine on the 22 but the 2-8-4 and the Acela don't like the 18 very much...had issues with a new turnout today but I think I got it figured out...my 2-8-0 has hit the floor 3 times and is cosmetically damaged but still runs fine...here I go saying mine again, it all belongs to my 4yo and he know how to run it...look on you tube search fullmaxx1 and watch the videos hes the engineer I'm the fixer
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

full maxx

oh yeah the pics in the first pic are from a paint by number water color book with tear out pages and the second pic is Rembrandt hanging on the wall
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

lescar

That's all right will let the (MINE) side, but I'm sure the little engineer is willing to share .   ;)  And it looks like the painting is from the little Rembrandt.  ;D
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

full maxx

now all I need is three switches to makes a siding or two to park the three trains in after running...the Acela is a no brainer as to the sars it pulls but the 2-8-4 pulls the passengers cars and the 2-8-0 pulls the freight cars... I just need sidings to allow them to park off the main so the others can run...getting kinda old ...dad take this one off and put this one on ;D

lescar

I can understand that,  ;) I'm trying to get my grand kids involved and hoping to get all the track and accessory's need for the start of my project, when the Income Tax gets in.  The building and other minor stuff can wait and I can get as needed.  My main interest is learning the new DCC system and get it wired properly so everything runs smoothly (I hope).  :-\

Les

full maxx

if you get the bachmann ez command its really easy but kinda limited as I have read, other systems control a bit more but for the money I paid for the Bachmann (ebay) its worth it too me and my little engineer loves it...he keeps turning the lights on and off

pdlethbridge

You could put in 2 sidings off the mainline where it angles off the original loop. Put the sidings about where that passenger car is

lescar

Full maxx:  I have the EZ-Command that came with the set, and used it for the few days while waiting on the Digitrax super Chief Xtra to come in. I liked the EZ-Command for it simplicity, but wanted a system that I could do more with, like change the CV's and be able to read them back. 

It sounds like you have a smart little guy there for he age.  ;) 8)

Les

lescar

Here's an update to my layout plans, All the connections are being done with wired rail joints spaced 3 feet apart and breaking that down into four power district's using a PM-42 and terminal blocks.

The lower left turn out is going to be the programming track isolated from the rest of the layout, the top curves are 26" with the rest being 22 & 18", the turnout on the right side is for a diesel fueling station.  The incoming and outgoing tracks from the turn table should be the only reversed loop which the turn table will automatically change the polarity as needed.

This is just a general plan, and most likely will get changed around once I actually start laying track, but it gives me a good overview of what I want to do. If anyone has any ideas or comments please feel free to chime in.

Les

OldTimer

Les,
If you'll use a DPDT toggle switch to control it, and gap both rails, you can use the programming track as a normal siding until you need to program a decoder.  Then you would throw the toggle to connect the siding to the programming outputs of your command station.  When you're finished programming, throw the toggle the other way and your programming track becomes a normal siding again.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

lescar

OldTimer:

Thanks for the idea. :)

Les

uncbob

IMHO
Turntables are way out of spec for layouts that size
They completely dominate the layout and overwhelm the mainline

But that is just me

I am not a fan of a lot of sidings/ turntables on small layouts

I know people like to display all their stock but I mainly want to see them run

lescar

I can appreciate that, what I have planed is a yard and maintenance theme, where I can come in and build a train up, sent them over the scales, run it a round for a bit and then bring it back to the yard and tare it down and send the cars for maintenance and or Loco's for fuel/repair, change things around and build up another train and do it all over.

I guess you can say, to each there own.  ;)  :)

Les

Pacific Northern

For a layout of this size I would reduce the number of stalls in the roundhouse and also  the turntable serving too many tracks.

This would give you more space for industry or a small townsite.
Pacific Northern

pdlethbridge

Les, Do what you want! It's your railroad. Have fun. If I could afford one, I'd buy a big turntable and make a complex service center.