News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MARC commuter trains

Started by murfling, February 15, 2010, 10:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murfling

Dopes anybody know if anyone, anywhere, ever made a MARC commuter train? (The ones that come out of Washington DC)  I am trying to put in represenatives of the Northeast Corridoor. I have New Jersey Transit, MBTA, and SEPTA. Looking for MARC and CT DOT. Thanx.

MARC TRAIN

For HO island model works make the bi-level and the one level car. They are $65.00
The web site is ISLANDMODELWORKS.com

ps: I have 3 of the bi-level the only thing that I don't like is the you have to paint install the windows  and put the truck togather and sand the truck down because it sit to high but if you know how to do it and have all the tool it take about 1hr to put togather
If you know where you can get a gp40wh and that a Marc
if u have a email I will send you the pic

ABC

At present, there are no models of this locomotive in any scale - I do not even know of a brass version. This leaves kitbashing as the only option if you wish to model a GP40WH-2. This project was in the Workshop column of the December, 1995, issue of MR.
Essentially, this project begins with a GP40-2. Cutting out the dynamic brake and radiator sections, you replace them with the corresponding sections from two SD45s. The GP40WH-2 radiator section is longer than the standard SD45, requiring two shells. The HEP section at the rear of the hood must be rebuilt if the correct hood doors are desired. In HO, this can be done using Cannon doors, but you will have to add louvers. The rear pilot and steps are from an SD40T-2, and the cab is from a F45, with some minor modifications.

murfling

Thank you so much for the information. My email is murfling@roadrunner.com if you wish to send me more.

Thanks again

Jonathan

murfling

Atlas is coming out with a GP-40 W model in two different versions.  Do you know if they are the same as what MARC is using?

Thanx

Jonathan

MARC TRAIN

Do u mean gp40x
I have a Marc gp40wh and a aem-7 and I'm all most finsh my hhp-8 I just need to get decal

CAB_IV

Quote from: murfling on February 16, 2010, 08:26:41 AM
Atlas is coming out with a GP-40 W model in two different versions.  Do you know if they are the same as what MARC is using?

Thanx

Jonathan

they aren't.  In fact, they are totally different.  this locomotive is just another example of a "ubiquitous" commuter engine that gets ignored.  MBTA, MARC, CDOT, NJ Transit, VRE,  and a couple others ALL have a GP40 style commuter engine with nearly the exact same  long hoods.

the only real difference besides small details are the cabs, which are all different between railroads.   Still,  how hard would it be for someone to make a "modular" shell and just put the stock cab types down on the body? 

Woody Elmore

murfling - I think you forgot the LIRR.

murfling

I am not familiar with LIRR, and I dont recall seeing them on our trip thru the cooridoor in Feb. Please enlighten me ... what does the LI stand for, and where does it run?

Guilford Guy

LIRR- Long Island Railroad.

If a company were to make modular cabs that all fit on the same long hood, like Chris said, they could score big with the thousands of commuter modelers around the northeast.
Alex

CAB_IV

Quote from: murfling on February 28, 2010, 10:25:56 AM
I am not familiar with LIRR, and I dont recall seeing them on our trip thru the cooridoor in Feb. Please enlighten me ... what does the LI stand for, and where does it run?

Its the Long Island Railroad.   In reality, it only runs parallel to the Northeast Corridor for a VERY short run around Sunny Side yard, and they don't really operate on it,  they just share a yard. 

However, Metro North DOES own a section of the Northeast Corridor in this area,  but they seem to only run "Cosmopolitan" EMUs  and some P32AC/DM trains under the electrified lines.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Atlas did 3 road numbers of the MARC AEM7, not sure if they were a custom run or not but I remember when working at the hobby shop we had gotten a few.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

CAB_IV

nope, they were a regular run.   I used to see them alot, but i think people eventually started buying them up when

A). they needed one to repaint into the AEM7 they wanted

B). they started realizing that the MARC AEM7s (both 4900 and 4902, atlas offered numbers) also ran on NJ transit for a short time,  and figured it would look alright.

either way, i wouldn't mind having a MARC unit if i ever come across one at a good price.

Joe323

The LIRR and The Northeast Corridor do Share Penn Station in NYC but they operate from different platforms.  I do not recall if they share any track. However Metro North operates from Grand Central and therefore Not considered (I Think) part of the Northeast Corridor.  Its ben a while but I do not think Amtrak operates out of Grand Central Any More.

CAB_IV

Quote from: Joe323 on February 28, 2010, 08:16:13 PM
The LIRR and The Northeast Corridor do Share Penn Station in NYC but they operate from different platforms.  I do not recall if they share any track. However Metro North operates from Grand Central and therefore Not considered (I Think) part of the Northeast Corridor.  Its ben a while but I do not think Amtrak operates out of Grand Central Any More.

they may come from different stations but the metro north does own part of the corridor.  not only do they run the EMUs there, but they also put limits on amtrak's speed, which is something that i'm told bugs amtrak as far as Acelas go, since these speed restrictions dramatically increase the time for that train to travel between Boston and New York.