News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Holiday Train

Started by schtein, February 16, 2010, 04:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schtein

Hi, I have an animated holiday train sold by JC Penney and made by a company called New Bright. It's a great holiday decoration, I've fixed wires, but mostly it's held up fine over the years. My question is about possibly buying new track. There's no gauge listed anywhere, and while I also own HO products, my knowledge of toy trains isn't sufficient to know. It's listed as the New Bright no. 380/980 "HOLIDAY EXPRESS" layout.

The rails appear to be 1 and 15/16" apart from center of rail to center of rail. They be 2" wide if you measured from outside edge to outside edge. The transformer connection to the rails is accomplished by a bar that fits under the track and contacts on either side raise up to touch the rails. Transformer runs sounds and lights. A window installer stepped on one of the corner pieces and broke the plastic that lines up the rails. It will probably work, and if not, I can make that particular connection solid. However, I'd like to know if it's possible that the track is a standard gauge and can therefore be purchased. Any help or advice is appreciated

ABC

I doubt it, but you never know, try a flea market or garage sale.

JerryB

Track gauge is measured inside of rail to inside of rail. Based on your measurements and on the name New Bright, your train is 'G-Scale,' running on 45mm (~1.75") gauge track. Your train should run on any track made for 'g-scale.'

That track is very available, starting with the indoor only track that Bachmann sells, on up through the better quality brass track sold by Aristocraft, U.S.A. Trains, Accucraft, Train-Li and others. Some of those suppliers also provide very high end stainless steel and nickel silver track.

If you just want to expand your current set and to only run it indoors, the Bachmann track will work very well. Check the internet for pricing and availability of track. Prices vary widely.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

ABC

Although it is G scale track, it could be unique, and hard to find track that is inter-compatible, as it could have unique joiners or something like that, which sometimes is the case with these types of sets.

RAM

Do a google search for new bright train

NarrowMinded

New Bright track is formed hollow track and will not join up with The higher quality solid tracks mentioned, I would just buy some good track and toss the newbright stuff ,you will be money and headachs ahead in the long run.

Just my 2 cents
NM

schtein

That's what I was thinking Narrow, but will the clip on transformer/controller work on good track. I found the exact same train on Ebay, new in the box plus some add-on cars to expand. Transformer currently says it will run 80' of track..thinking of expanding the G scale setup from just the 18 foot oval under tree to running it behind love seat and under open glass top coffee table. That would add about 22 feet to current setup & add a couple S turns. Then, I found a store closing out with a Lionel G scale christmas train, 4-6-0 loco, flatcar and musical caboose w/ track and transformer that would look great on a trestle circling tree oval at a 90° orientation to the other & 18" off the floor. Sounds great in my head..only bummer would be two separate types of track, but the price is unbeatable! This will give me a fix until I figure out addition to my christmas HO layout..it's a winter theme on a 4 x 6 base 32" high, mountain scene in snow, hills, tunnels, Thomas Kinkade buildings among others, all 1900s theme because of my 2-8-0 steam loco used from 1889 to 1920. I started adding a 2 x 8, "waterfront" section & needed to add a roundhouse, which I've got, but I need to build a new table to keep it stable. Ever notice this hobby is addictive! I'm working at easier setup & tear down options too. Keep advice coming. Thanks

Joe Satnik

Dear Schtein,

Can you post a close up picture of the end of one section of your track?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Robertj668

Dear Schtein

I agree with Joe if you can take a photo of the track that can help us out.   

I think I have the same set as you.  On our box on the side it says "New Bright" 380 Christmas train too.  Ours is about 9 yrs old. About three years ago I went back to the Hobby shop where I bought it and they did have replacement track but it had different joiners than mine.The hobby shop said that they updated to a newer style of track.  I was able to  find my type of track and the newer stuff on eBay quite easily then.

I was also told by my hobby shop and as also mentioned here on the replies here that I could try and use another G Scale track.  But I did not as I was not sure how to adapt the part that carries the power from the pack to the track. Sorry the name of that part escapes me now.

I just looked on eBay and did find track but not the stuff I have. What I was going to do at one point was switch to the newer track and sell the old stuff on eBay.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Robert

Hope it all turns out.

NarrowMinded

Regarding the clip, My nephew used the same clip on his LGB track, I never took a close look at how well it fastens to the solid track, he runs around 35' of track at Xmas and has never had an issue. I personally use small ring connectors with a small washer placed on  a joiner screw to feed power to my my track.

NM

schtein

First off, I boxed it up and put it away in storage, so a picture right now isn't handy. I can get i out again and take the pick if you guys want it. There was a listing on Ebay for the same exact train set that closed yesterday. Seller claimed he'd only used it once, when I asked him specifics, he never replied, so I didn't bid. Went for $96 plus $19 shipping. Was seriously thinking of buying it for replacement parts if needed somewhere down the line. There's a current listing for 12 corner & 12 straight pieces of New Bright G scale track as well for $30, but with what y'all or saying, w/o a closeup, it would be a gamble. I agree with NM.....as long as the track is open tied track and the same gauge, I don't see a raeson why the existing clip won't work with possibly a slight modifcation. All it has to do is fit between the ties and make a solid connection to work. Cleaning with rubbing alcohol and then a slight covering of household oil is how I maintain mine to ensure a solid current. What wouldn't work is G track with a fixed roadbed, but I haven't seen that in G scale yet......I have some in HO that I like to use for the christmas setup cause I put a layer of batting down to simulate snow and rather than pinning the track down, the plastic roadbed keeps it level & makes teardown quicker. I'll make a point of getting the track out and taking a picture so y'all can see. Any opinions on running two different types of track for an additional layout like I mentioned? Thanks Randy

Jim Banner

New Bright track, both the earlier plastic track for the battery operated trains, and the later tin plate track for track powered trains can be matched up to other brands quite easily.  Just remove the rail joiners/clips/pins/bars/whatever that hold the rails aligned from one end of one section of New Bright track and from one end of one section of the other brand of track.  This should leave two flat ends.  These two ends can now be mated by epoxying a piece of 1/16" sheet metal under the modified ends to keep them together.  Usually a piece 3-1/2" by 3-1/2" is about right.  If the 1/16" high hump bothers you, cut a little off the bottoms of the ties involved to make the bottom surface flat.

For electrical continuity, solder on jumper wires or if soldering is not a possibility, drill and tap some small holes and use screws for attaching the jumpers.

If you will need two such adapter section, cut one section of each type of track in half and join up the half sections as above.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

The New Bright track shows up on ebay quite often.  Unfortunately, it's usually cuvres, not straights.  You do get two straight sections when you buy an add-on car to the Christmas set.  Also, be careful about the New Bright track.  Sometimes it's the old plastic track which, although it matches well with the metal track, won't allow you to run trains which get power through the rails.

Jim is right (as always) about adapting to other brands of track.  It may be better in the long run, though, to just go with all new track.  Then you'll also have easy access to switches, crossings and the like.

Don't try to use the New Bright track outdoors.  It won't stand up to the weather and the UV will kill the plastic in no time.  Use track rated for outdoor use if you go that route.