News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reading Material

Started by Clint, February 16, 2010, 04:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clint

Hello all.  I am looking to start planning my layout.  Don't know what size I will make yet, just looking for information and ideas.  Do any of you know or could suggest some books on model railroad layouts or a detailed website.  Maybe a detailed documentation of someone building a layout from start to finish.

I have gotten lots of information from this message board, but would like to have something that is not so spread out and more concise.

Also, I am not good a soldering.  Could I not use well placed terminal pieces?

Thank you in advance.
Clint

jward

atlas publishes a line of layout plan books. some of them are actually step by step instructions including the dimensions of all framing pieces and risers. even though i have been modelling for about 40 years now, i still keep a set of these books around, and often browse through them looking at the layouts.

as for terminal sections, atlas also makes rail joiners with wires attatched that you can use in place of the regular rail joiners. that way, you can drop feeder wires anywhere you have joints in the track. no need to solder with these, and they look alot nicer than the terminal tracks with the hoge screw terminals on them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RAM

I think a good book would be railroads that you can model.  Check ModelRailroader.com.  They have many good books.  Also check in your local library.

NarrowMinded

I would recommend you search out a local club, ask to visit their layout and pick their brains, Modelers are generally nice people I have found, and will be happy to tell you all they know (even if you don't ask ;) )

NM

schtein

I agree with NM....first hand knowledge is unbeatable with a local group. They're very passionate about what they do, usually have a club project going on and you never know, they might just put you to work. I was just thinking of a new project on a line that's gonna go away. I'll approach the railroad for whatever they can give me cause they're seven or eight long, high wooden trestles on this line. Then I'll check with the local FS office for topographic maps and arial photos. AND then, I'll go to the local club, which in my case is 43 miles away and see if I can garner interest. I know that's more complicated than you probably wanted to get, but it's a great way to get multiple ideas!  :o

Jhanecker2

Good Morning: Then there is of course the Book by Kalmbach Publishing : 101 Model Railroad  Track Plans.  I have a copy and it makes interesting reading , it has plans of differing complexities and sizes .  John II

Joe Satnik

Dear Clint,

I'm guessing you are talking about HO scale.

Similar discussion here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,11999.0.html

Hope this helps. 

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

on30gn15

Quote from: Clint on February 16, 2010, 04:06:56 PMDo any of you know or could suggest some books on model railroad layouts or a detailed website. 
Kalmbach, who publish Model Railroader magazine (MR), and Carstens, who publish Railroad Model Craftsman magazine (RMC), both have layout planning books.

Local hobby shops (LHS) can get them.
Or they may be ordered direct.

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/modeltrains-railroading-model-railroading-books-track-plans-and-layout-planning.html

http://carstensbookstore.com/morabo1.html
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

ebtnut

I would highly recommend getting a copy of the Kalmbach book, "Track Planning for Realitic Operation" by John Armstrong.  I may be a bit advanced for a beginner, but it lays out the how and why in reference to how the real railroads operate.  If and when you get beyond that first 4x8, you will appreciate the info in this book.