News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why no DCC

Started by quryous, February 17, 2010, 04:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quryous

Why is Bachmann and Spectrum still making Non-DCC equipment?  In this day and age it doesn't seem to make much sense.  Make it at LEAST DCC with sound READY!

Cody J

Some people who have small layouts that don't need DCC don't want to pay extra for DCC Ready equipment.
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Chris350

I suppose if one wanted an analogy, why would you want to be like Microsoft and force everyone to upgrade their systems?  There are far to too many DC operations out there, in this small community to alienate a (arguably a large) portion of your prospective market..  Yes many of the new DCC/sound decoders are dual mode, but again many folks out there don't want sound either.
"It ain't broke, don't go tryin' to fix it.."

full maxx

yeah I'm sure there are more dc than dcc
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

hawaiiho

I agree totally that not everyone wants DCC or DCC with Sound and should not have to pay for the dual mode when they never

would use it.

Having said that, I guess that I am too logical.

Logic would dictate(to me anyway) that newly designed units that are not DCC and/or DCC with sound would be truly DCC

ready and have the space needed(provided this is possible) to mount the decoder and speaker.

jonathan

I think the greatest product manufacturers are giving us is a truly DCC ready loco (actually has the plug in receptacle).

I love my DC layout.  I continually learn more about DCC, and feel that one day I will make the switch... waaaaaay in the future.  Until then, I can build a loco roster that will only require minutes to convert to the dark side.  And, if I built my layout correctly, switching the track power shouldn't be that difficult either.

Still trying to convince myself that there is a real advantage to DCC.  Sound?  I can carry a tune and go,

"CHOO CHOOOOOO."

Regards,

Jonathan

Barney R

That is why restaurants have menu's. Everyone does not want the same thing. Some folks want pure DC. Others want DCC and still others want the whole thing with Sounds and bells as well. I think that it is wonderful that manufacturers like Bachmann offer choice.

full maxx

Quote from: jonathan on February 17, 2010, 06:49:17 PM
I think the greatest product manufacturers are giving us is a truly DCC ready loco (actually has the plug in receptacle).

I love my DC layout.  I continually learn more about DCC, and feel that one day I will make the switch... waaaaaay in the future.  Until then, I can build a loco roster that will only require minutes to convert to the dark side.  And, if I built my layout correctly, switching the track power shouldn't be that difficult either.

Still trying to convince myself that there is a real advantage to DCC.  Sound?  I can carry a tune and go,

"CHOO CHOOOOOO."

Regards,

Jonathan
I like the CHOO CHOOOOOO
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Jhanecker2

While  DCC is the current new technology there is nothing that  guarantees that it will be the technology of the future.  There a large base of DC equipment in use and a lot of users either don't want to bother with the added costs and are happy enough doing the extra wiring to put in blocks,  which  are also necesary if you are going to operate really complex and large layouts anyway.  John II.

Atlantic Central

Quote from: quryous on February 17, 2010, 04:52:19 PM
Why is Bachmann and Spectrum still making Non-DCC equipment?  In this day and age it doesn't seem to make much sense.  Make it at LEAST DCC with sound READY!

You sir are quite welcome to buy or not buy what ever suits your needs and wants, so should the rest of us have that option so long as it is good business for the seller.

DCC still only represents about 1/3 of the modelers buying model trains based on a number of surveys and market analysis that has been done.

AND, lots of DCC modelers prefer to install the decoder of their choice rather than what the manufacturer provides.

AND, not everbody is even remotely interested in sound.

So in the interest of still selling trains to the MAJORITY, most manufacturers are still offering DC versions of their products.

I for one am likely to never switch to DCC. I use Aristo Craft Train Engineer wireless throttles which provide just as good speed control as DCC. I have no interest in onboard sound in HO - I don't need or want DCC or sound.

And you are likely to hear from several more like me on this forum.

Sheldon

ebtbob

Good Afternoon All,

I do not consider myself all that old at 61,  but I noticed over the past year or so I do not seem to comprehend what I read as well as I did in years past.
        That being said,  let me point out something that quryous asked in the originating post.  "Make it at LEAST DCC with sound READY!"
        Reading the responses,  most seem to speak to people not wanting to pay for dcc etc.   Actually,   I believe Bachmann does offer many of their engines dcc ready.    Understand the definition of dcc ready.   That is not DCC on board as Bachmann says,  or dcc equipped as other manufactures say.   DCC ready simply means the motor brushes have been isolated from the frame and the engine is ready to have a decoder or sound decoder and speaker intalled.   By offering engines this way,  Bachmann and others present the buying public with product that does not cost the non dcc ops extra money and offers engines to those who like to choose their own decoders and do their own installations.
        As a dcc user,  I find it more aggrevating to buy an  engine that has Tsunami technology without all the functionality of a full blown Tsunami and then find out that I cannot do all the things via CVs etc as I could if the engine had the full Tsunami.   Yes,  you might have to pay more for the full Tsunami,  but again,  you get what you pay for.
        Right now,  as far as know,   Bachmann,  Athearn,  and Atlas offer engines dcc ready,  dcc equipped,  or dcc equipped with sound.   I think most of us have at least one choice. 

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Chris350

Quote from: ebtbob on February 18, 2010, 03:58:24 PM
Good Afternoon All,

I do not consider myself all that old at 61,  but I noticed over the past year or so I do not seem to comprehend what I read as well as I did in years past.
        That being said,  let me point out something that quryous asked in the originating post.  "Make it at LEAST DCC with sound READY!"
The tone of the OP is that all trains should be DCC installed and ready to add sound.  That's my read and I believe how many of the remainder interpreted it.  That's kinda what happens when you SHOUT on a discussion board like this one.  I read the responses being all about options.

rich1998

The real issue with the Bachmann with Tsunami is users "assuming" the Tsunami has full features.
Bachmann never said that they had all the same sounds. Bachmann has posted the available sounds. SoundTraxx site has the Bachmann and standard Tsunami pages that list the sounds.
No way would Bachmann ever say, not as many sounds. People "assumed" Bachmann was ripping them off.
The same issue with MTH DCS decoder equipped locos which are pricey. DCC users "assumed" the DCS would be fully compatible with DCC. Not so. Again, details.
Seeing the same with Athearn Tsunami. Not as many sounds.
I have read before, Bachmann with "Tsunami Technology" not Tsunami decoders.
The male species on this planet do not like reading instruction manuals until problems occur. I guarantee, that will never change. In a year or less, we will see this popping up again.

With all the info available on the Internet, there is no good excuse for not knowing the details.

I real feel sorry for the Bach Man in what he has to face at times.

Lex

quryous

Thank you for reading, Bob Rule, Jr.

Chris350

Quote from: quryous on February 19, 2010, 12:08:21 PM
Thank you for reading, Bob Rule, Jr.
If Bob is the only person who understood the intent of your initial comment, I going to venture it wasn't well phrased to start with.  Nothing against Bob in any way.