News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Layout

Started by ThomasFan247, February 18, 2010, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasFan247

The curves are 22 radius on the outside line and 18 radius on the inner track. All other siding curves are 18 radius. I'm not sure what switches they are. They're the same as Bachmann's Steel Alloy switches.

DrNickRiviera995

Thanks Thomas Fan!  I'm guessing maybee they are the standard type that come in the track packs.  I guess I'll pick up a starter set or maybee two to get started.

I was also wondering if anyone here knows how the engines in the Thomas line do with inclines?  I was also wanting to get one of the elevation pier sets to do an over/under track.  Do these trains perform ok going up hills or is that really intended for the higher end locomotives?

SodorAdventures

Hello Chad,

I am sure your Son will enjoy the many fun layghs you will share with your Thomas Trains. Okay, well, if you wanted to, you can use Bachmann E-Z Track which is most of the time most Expensive. The Turnouts are the regular ones not the long ones. The Outer radius would be 22 in and inner 18 in.
For the Cheaper company, Atlas, you can purchase normal turnouts and 22 in and 18in raduis'. Or use atlas Flexi Track, the cheapest, cut and bend around all the curves to make them fit.I have this kind.  Hope this Helps. :)

-Tanner

Here is what flexi track looks like, dont forget to put roadbed underneath with Atlas Track.

Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

SodorAdventures

Quote from: DrNickRiviera995 on March 31, 2010, 09:34:11 PM
Thanks Thomas Fan!  I'm guessing maybee they are the standard type that come in the track packs.  I guess I'll pick up a starter set or maybee two to get started.

I was also wondering if anyone here knows how the engines in the Thomas line do with inclines?  I was also wanting to get one of the elevation pier sets to do an over/under track.  Do these trains perform ok going up hills or is that really intended for the higher end locomotives?

Well, Yes and no, If you purchased a Pier set, use it. Your Trains can go up it, but not easily

DrNickRiviera995

Thanks everyone, I think I will base it off the layout at the top of this page, I think the Tidmoth Sheds and Knapford Station should be able to fit once they are released.  I'll just leave the spot where the RoundHouse is empty or just place a few extra side tracks until it's released.

I may also do a 3rd circle around the 22" radius curves to be able to run 3 trains simultaniously.  I don't remember off hand what radius fits snug to the outside of the 22"  Anyone here know off hand?  I should be able to figure it out from my Bachman layout book if not.

I will be using the Bachman EZ Track Nickel Silver and add ballast too, seems to be the best and most reliable track system out there.

ThomasFan247

Not trying to sound rude or anything, but I don't care if you base your layout off of my plans, but I would appreciate it if you don't copy off of it. I made that for my own use, and I thought I'd show it off. But I didn't have the intention that someone would want to use my plans :-\  Just please, don't copy it. And I don't think that Knapford and Tidmouth Sheds will both fit on a 5 x 9'7" board.

thomasj219

Its just a design you cant copyright it and he can use it if he wants. All of the world of model railroading is copying why do you think we call it modeling. ;D
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

DrNickRiviera995

Not going to copy it, and my board will probably be a bit larger or even an "L" shape.  I just liked your layout, it seems hard to find track plans online, I even bought a Bachman track planing book and found out there actualy aren't many track diagrams in it at all...let alone with multiple continuous tracks. 

Now that I've thought about it I might just buy a bunch of different track/risers and just play with the layout until it looks cool. 

ThomasFan247

Quote from: DrNickRiviera995 on April 03, 2010, 10:05:51 PM
Not going to copy it, and my board will probably be a bit larger or even an "L" shape.  I just liked your layout, it seems hard to find track plans online, I even bought a Bachman track planing book and found out there actualy aren't many track diagrams in it at all...let alone with multiple continuous tracks. 

Now that I've thought about it I might just buy a bunch of different track/risers and just play with the layout until it looks cool. 
Sorry. I was in a really bad mood yesterday. I don't care if you use my plan. Like Thomasj219 said, its not copyrighted. Lol. Sorry about that.

PerfectPercy

Quote from: SodorAdventures on April 02, 2010, 08:57:41 AM
Thanks Thomas Fan!  I'm guessing maybee they are the standard type that come in the track packs.  I guess I'll pick up a starter set or maybee two to get started.

I was also wondering if anyone here knows how the engines in the Thomas line do with inclines?  I was also wanting to get one of the elevation pier sets to do an over/under track.  Do these trains perform ok going up hills or is that really intended for the higher end locomotives?

Well, Yes and no, If you purchased a Pier set, use it. Your Trains can go up it, but not easily

Not sure if you still have incline issues, but I'm working with that as well as an attempt at an RWS Gordon's Hill. You really need to be picky about it. I am at the steepest possible and my grade spans 8 - 9 ft. It takes up space, but when I finalize my adjustments, it will look nice.

I still can't get it right though. So picky... You have to work with it. I'm trying to get Edward, James, Percy, and Thomas to pull 2-3 coaches. Henry, Gordon, Spencer, Mavis, and Salty can pull 3 coaches. Speaking of Gordon and Henry and Spencer, they can pull just about 6 express coaches.

An incline or two really add to the layout scenically and in terms of having fun when running engines! ;D Good luck.

Quote from: SodorAdventures on April 02, 2010, 08:55:54 AM

Hello Chad,

I am sure your Son will enjoy the many fun layghs you will share with your Thomas Trains. Okay, well, if you wanted to, you can use Bachmann E-Z Track which is most of the time most Expensive. The Turnouts are the regular ones not the long ones. The Outer radius would be 22 in and inner 18 in.
For the Cheaper company, Atlas, you can purchase normal turnouts and 22 in and 18in raduis'. Or use atlas Flexi Track, the cheapest, cut and bend around all the curves to make them fit.I have this kind.  Hope this Helps. :)

-Tanner

Here is what flexi track looks like, dont forget to put roadbed underneath with Atlas Track.

As reply to using trackbed with Atlas track, there is no need for it unless you are going above and beyond. If you are running your trains on something with a lot of noise being made, then it should be considered. If you are going for plywood, there is no need as it looks just as nice without. (It saves a heap of money as well.)

Ropley101

Very nice design, what program did you use to make the design?
Early in the morning,
Down at the station,
All the little engines
Standing in a row.
Along comes the driver,
Pulls the little lever
Puff, puff! Chuff, chuff!
Off we go!

PasqualeCS96

Very nice layout design, are you planning to get Knapford station?

SodorAdventures

Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on April 07, 2010, 12:00:38 AM
Quote from: SodorAdventures on April 02, 2010, 08:57:41 AM
Thanks Thomas Fan!  I'm guessing maybee they are the standard type that come in the track packs.  I guess I'll pick up a starter set or maybee two to get started.

I was also wondering if anyone here knows how the engines in the Thomas line do with inclines?  I was also wanting to get one of the elevation pier sets to do an over/under track.  Do these trains perform ok going up hills or is that really intended for the higher end locomotives?

Not sure if you still have incline issues, but I'm working with that as well as an attempt at an RWS Gordon's Hill. You really need to be picky about it. I am at the steepest possible and my grade spans 8 - 9 ft. It takes up space, but when I finalize my adjustments, it will look nice.

I still can't get it right though. So picky... You have to work with it. I'm trying to get Edward, James, Percy, and Thomas to pull 2-3 coaches. Henry, Gordon, Spencer, Mavis, and Salty can pull 3 coaches. Speaking of Gordon and Henry and Spencer, they can pull just about 6 express coaches.

An incline or two really add to the layout scenically and in terms of having fun when running engines! ;D Good luck.

Quote from: SodorAdventures on April 02, 2010, 08:55:54 AM

Hello Chad,

-Tanner

As reply to using trackbed with Atlas track, there is no need for it unless you are going above and beyond. If you are running your trains on something with a lot of noise being made, then it should be considered. If you are going for plywood, there is no need as it looks just as nice without. (It saves a heap of money as well.)

Yeah But it is very well recommended for layout realism

PerfectPercy

It doesn't add much realism. It only raises the track a bit. If you lay ballast correctly, you can eliminate that need of more money.

DrNickRiviera995

I'm going to use Bachmann EZ Track Nickel Silver.  Sounds like the most reliable, I will eventualy ballast it but just want to get the track layout up and trains running a while.  I'm sure that's all my little boy cares about lol.  But I plan to fully landscape and set it up so I could eventualy get "real" trains (probably mainly Santa Fe stuff) and just switch out from the Thomas characters and vice versa whenever.

Layout will actualy look nothing like yours now, decided to do pretty much a U-shape.  Once it's all together I'll try to post up some pics, I'll start my own topic though, didn't mean to hijack this one lol.