News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MATCHING PAINT COLORS FOR KITS.

Started by FISCHERBD, February 19, 2010, 09:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FISCHERBD

I DID NOT OPEN ALL 77 PAGES OF COMMENTS BUT NEED TO KNOW IF BACHMANN SELLS MATCHING PAINT COLORS FOR FINISHING GREY KITS TO MATCH EXISTING TRAIN SET COLORS?? SPECIFICALLY THE YELLOW FOR THE BIG HAULER DURANGO AND SILVERTON.
ARE SPRAY CANS AVAILABLE TO MATCH THIS COLOR?? IF NOT WHAT TYPE OF PAINT IS RECOMMENDED??
THANK YOU!

Kevin Strong

Unfortunately, Bachmann (nor any other manufacturer, really) sells paints to match their production. In most cases, you can find commercial paints to match or at least come very close. In the case of the D&S yellow, take a look at Scalecoat, Floquil, ModelFlex, and other hobby paints. The D&S/D&RGW "Bumblebee" yellow is common enough in modeling circles that one of them probably offers it without having to custom-mix. Whether it's a match for Bachmann's paint, I can't say, but if I recall, the B'mann cars are pretty close to the LGB cars, which are pretty close to the prototype.

(And please turn off Caps Lock ;) )

Later,

K

FISCHERBD

THANKYOU FOR ANSWERING. THE CAPS ARE AN AID FOR TYPING ONLY. I HAVE A PROBLEM TYPING AND CAPS REQUIRE LESS KEY STROKES. SORRY, NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYBODY.

Loco Bill

The Bach-man did the artwork and design for most of the Bachmann Cars.  In almost every case he used off the shelf Spray paints on the cars. Approved designs went to China for production where the paints were matched.  In other posts he mentioned using Krylon colors in many cases.

Krylon Black, White, Gray Primer, Red Primer.   I can't remember the Brand but a color caled Bauhaus Gold is pretty close and School Bus yellow is also close, and would probably work. 

I would wash the kits with mild soap and water, then spray with white primer, then do a coat of Bauhaus gold,  if that seems too dark for you then overspray it with an even light coat of School bus yellow.   The colors may not perfectly match you other cars but will be very close if done with care.  In real life the car colors were often different due to fading and weathering anyway so your train will have an authentic look.

Good luck!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

FordcvP71

The color your looking for is "Rio Grande Gold" I asked the same question a while back and was told a floquil color was used and after some looking doesnt seem like they make it any more. If you find some in a rattle can let me know im still looking too!

NarrowMinded

Call a local Paint supplier, the type that supplies to auto body shops, some of them can match paint and put it in a spray can. it runs about $25 for a standard size can.

Cheaper then buying airbrushes and compressors

NM

jviss

Quote from: Loco Bill on February 21, 2010, 12:36:07 PM
The Bach-man did the artwork and design for most of the Bachmann Cars.  In almost every case he used off the shelf Spray paints on the cars. Approved designs went to China for production where the paints were matched.  In other posts he mentioned using Krylon colors in many cases.

Krylon Black, White, Gray Primer, Red Primer.   I can't remember the Brand but a color caled Bauhaus Gold is pretty close and School Bus yellow is also close, and would probably work. 

I would wash the kits with mild soap and water, then spray with white primer, then do a coat of Bauhaus gold,  if that seems too dark for you then overspray it with an even light coat of School bus yellow.   The colors may not perfectly match you other cars but will be very close if done with care.  In real life the car colors were often different due to fading and weathering anyway so your train will have an authentic look.

Good luck!!

Loco Bill, I want to thank you so much for this post!  I know it's old, but it's still apt.  I was fortunate enough to buy a new Anniversary 4-6-0 D&RGW Bumble Bee loco and tender about five years ago.  Now I'd like to build out a consist of combine, coach, and observation cars to go along.  That color you mentioned, Bauhaus Gold, looks to me so far to be exactly the right color to match the paint on the loco.  Thanks!  I'm planning on picking pa can and trying it out.  The reason is that I've purchased three new-old-stock G Kits - two coaches and a combine.  I'm aiming for the looks of the Accucraft cars, with silver frame ends and steps (please forgive my poor terminology), silver trucks, and silver roof.  Of course I'll need black, too.  In addition, I purchased black passenger rails for the combine and one coach, and black observation rails for the other coach.  I'll need to make some additional black railing for the combine, and maybe some small black chain for the rails.  I'll need decals, too.  For lights I will likely go with the led strips that I used on my other coaches, and track power.

Can you please recommend a silver paint?  I'd like to stay in the Krylon COLORmaxx family, if possible.  And, should the silver and black be satin or flat?

While researching this I found an interesting site called encycolorpedia: https://encycolorpedia.com

Their page for Bauhaus Gold is this: https://encycolorpedia.com/e9a239

"The hexadecimal color code #e9a239 is a shade of brown. In the RGB color model #e9a239 is comprised of 91.37% red, 63.53% green and 22.35% blue. In the HSL color space #e9a239 has a hue of 36° (degrees), 80% saturation and 57% lightness. This color has an approximate wavelength of 582.48 nm."

I think it's very cool that there's a precise way of describing colors, and it could help the hobby immensely. 

Regards,

jv
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry, I missed your question about the paint.   No reason not to stick with the Krylon paints including silver.  Satin or flat, well that is a personal preference.  I personally prefer flat, but go with what you feel looks good to you.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jviss

Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A