SHORT CIRCUIT PROBLEM - CONSOLIDATION 2-8-0

Started by twojags, May 02, 2007, 03:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twojags

I would appreciate help in resolving an electrical problem on a newly acquired G Scale Locomotive.  I acquired a new Bachmann Consolidation 2-8-0 (81294) from a dealer in the USA but when the loco was placed on the track, the red LED flashes on the LGB controller type 55006! On placing a test meter between the RH and LH wheels it shows a short circuit so there appears to be a short circuit between the loco wheels!

Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a simple way to cure it? It would be extremely expensive (and time consuming) to return the locomotive across the Atlantic.

Thanks for your help.

John

MODIFIED POST: Posted - 03 May 2007 :  01:57:33           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help Tim . I originally posted this as referring to an Annie but in the cold light of a new day I realised that it should have read  2-8-0 Consolidation! This goes to show that you should never post to forums when you are tired. Honestly, no alcoholic beverage had passed my lips!

Does this affect the advice apart from the fact that the Connie only has a front bogie (and does not appear to have a directional arrow)? Incidentally the meter test was performed off the track.

Any more help  would be much appreciated.
John

Tim Brien

John,
        ensure that the pilot truck is oriented forward (arrow on the underside of the truck should point forward).

twojags

Upon further investigation I have discovered the following: the short circuit is on the four inner flat wheels (not flanged) and it only occurs when the springs are depressed with the weight of the loco. Any ideas please?

Jon D. Miller

I'm not sure if this will help your situation.  But it's worth checking.

Just in front of the lead driver, on each side you will find a "pipe" that represents a sander line.  In some instances one or both of these sander lines will touch the driver (s) causing a short.

This usually happened when weight was taken off the locomotive allowing the springs to push the drivers down into contact with the sander line.  It's also possible that a sander pipe could be making contact with weight on the drivers.

Check your Connie to make sure one or both of the sander lines are not making contact with the lead driver.  If so, slightly bend the sander line (s) away from the driver so there is no possibility of contact.

Since you are dealing with a metal frame, any contact between the side frames, such as a sander line,  and the driver (s) will cause a short circuit. You will also notice there are brake shoes and brake beams that support the brake shoes.  It's also possible for one, or more, of the brake shoes to be slightly bent and touching a driver.

Check it out. At no place should any part of the metal side frame, or its components, come in contact with any of the drivers.

Look at your exploded components diagrams.  These should give you an idea of how the locomotive is assembled.  Note the screws that attach the brake system.  All of these screws should be tight.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)