Questions re: Proper Location of RR Track Signals

Started by BradKT, February 20, 2010, 05:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

I am going to be putting several nonoperating RR track signals (the pole type) on my layout and have some simple questions about where to locate them:

Question # 1: Are RR block signals supposed to be mounted on the left or right side of the track?  I had heard that they were supposed to be mounted to the right of the track.

Question # 2: Does this depend on the particular RR?

Question # 3: Are the signals supposed to be located only at switches or just every so often for each track?

Question # 4: Should 2 signals be mounted side-by-side before each turnout?

Question # 5: Does anyone know where I could get some information on this subject?

jward

answers:
q1. signals are to be mounted to the right of the track they govern. after about the mid 1980s, this rule was no longer set in stone, and railroads could place signals to the left if the situation warranted. previous to this, non standard signal placement had to be authorized by a waiver.

q2 as per the above answer, this depended more on the era than the railroad.

3. signals must be located at any point where the dispatcher controls the switches. hand throw switches do not need signals. also, signals should be located where a main track crosses another track, no matter hwo lightly used.

often, mainlines have signals spaced every couple of miles. lighter desnsity lines may only have signals at junctions or passing tracks, with a distant signal a mile or so before the dispatcher controlled signal, as a warning to train crews that they are approaching a controlled point.

q4. there should be a signal for each track at a controlled point such as a switch or crossing. there should be a signal to protect movement in either direction on any and all tracks affected. the usual placement of these signals is to the right of each track if there is room. if not, they are usually placed on a signal bridge or bracket where it is obvious which signal controls which track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BradKT

Thank you.  That lets me know how many signals I need and where to place them.

You gave me some excellent information...exactly what I needed.

Mike

Brad - rule books from individual railroads have good descriptions of signals. For example, CSX has info on speeds for each signal, placement of signal heads versus tracks they govern, etc. Generally speaking, there is a pair of absolute signals at each end of the interlocking, one signal for each direction, governing the movements throught the interlocking. Intermediate signals ( less restricting) can be found between interlockings. (they can be identified by an attached number or letter board).