News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ATLAS CODE 100 TRACK TO CODE 83 TRACK

Started by CG04, February 19, 2010, 01:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CG04

To all track laying experts,

In an attempt to widen my curves, I'm thinking of getting code 83 24" radi curves.  Everything I have now is code 100.  I know I can get the Atlas connectors to join them together.  What would be the negative effects, if any, of this transition ???

Thanks,

Clif

ABC

I have used the Atlas transition joiners before with no trouble whatsoever.

jonathan

Clif,

I don't know about expert, but I have transitioned from code 100 to code 83 track before.  The key is to find a way to shim the code 83 track so the top of the rails are even with the code 100 track.  There are transition rail joiners available.  I took the easy way out, and put a little card stock under the code 83 track to line it up.  If the railheads are not lined up, you could experience nothing more than a little "bump" as the train travels between the two diffrent codes.  As you are transitioning, going into a curve, you could experience a derailment situation.

Once the track is weathered and ballasted, viewers won't really notice the difference in tie size and spacing.  You will.  Doesn't bother me in the least.
I recommend you solder this joint well. If there is any play, conductivity could be an issue.

Others will be better detailed than me, I'm sure.

Regards,

Jonathan

CG04

Thanks ABC and Jonathan,

All positive answers so far.  Maybe I won't get too many negative ones.  I plan to make all my transitions on straight track to eliminate as many problems as I can.

Clif

Joe Satnik

Dear Cliff,

If you are trying to make 22"-24"R or 24"-26"R concentric curve pairs, or a 22"-24"-26"R triple concentric curve, you will run into overhang crash problems:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

(Scroll down to HO)

Also, 24"R curves should have at least 52" width (fence to fence), which is larger than 4' sheet width (=48").

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

a 4 foot table can be easily widened to accomodate 24" radius curves by adding a piece of 1x4 pine along one side of the table. i've made brackets to hold this piece  by cutting other sections of 1x4 at a 45 degree angle and screwing them to the underside of the 1x4 and to the table rail. done properly, it is just as strong as the rest of the table.

as for joining code 83 to code 100, or any two different rail sizes together, everything the others have told you is good. i'd add that you should bevel the corners of the rail ends with a needle file before you join them. if you do get the joint slightly misaligned, the bevelled ends will help prevent derailments. i bevel the ends of all rail before i lay it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtbob

Interesting fact about Atlas snap track.   If you take a piece of cd 100 track and remove the railjoiner at one end,  then take a piece of cd83 track and do the same thing and push them together,  guess what.....the railheads will be at the same height.   This happens because the cd 83 ties are thicker top to bottom than the code 100.   So,  if you want to do what you suggest and can find a way to keep the rails in line without railjoiners of=r tranistion tracks,  then you are in business.  Transition railjoiners are a pain in the butt to install as they have a great tendency to bend during installation.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jhanecker2

Good Morning :  I vaguely remember that someone actually manufactures tracks that transitions from code 100 to other codes.  I can't remember whom but will look it up later. John  II

ABC

OldTimer

You could always use Atlas code 100 flex track.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

jonathan

CG04

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I haven't had my computer on all weekend.

Thanks to all that offered up suggestions.  All are good.  I just have to make the decision on which way to go.  My current layout is coming down due to our moving.  At least now I will have  a train room and the CEO of the railroad will have her spare bedroom back.  So, I have a month or so to figure out my best solution.

Thanks again,

Clif