A photo gallery of secondary lines in Mississippi

Started by Stephen Warrington, May 02, 2007, 10:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

;D HiGuys,

Thought I would share one of my photo galleries of some of the old backwoods railroads here in Mississippi.

http://steve.bill--porter.com/photos_taken_on_april_29th.htm

Enjoy,

Stephen

Tim

Thanks Stephen

Well done I really enjoyed your excellent photo's

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

chucknlead

Thanks for the cool pictures! I'm sure the scene was much different fifty years ago.
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

lanny

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for those great photos. That's quite a little locomotive. I hope someone down there takes good care of it. Looks like it still has its Christmas lights on it ... or are they for all year around?

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

Yes Wanilla and the MSC was quite different 50 years ago. Wished I was around to see it MSC #141 was one of the smallest 2-8-2s ever built for an American standard gauge line with 52" drivers and weighed in atonly 110 tons. Mississippi Central was known torun Passenger trains with 2-8-2s and Freights with Pacifics at times.

Heres another one of our little hidden jewels right down the track of the ICRR at McComb, MS.

ugh did I say little.  :D

http://steve.bill--porter.com/photos_taken_on_march_18th.htm

Theres the link to the rest of those on the ICs lower mainline.

As far as #141 goes she is always decked out for Christmas. Georgia Pacific 
repainted and put the fence around her.To preserve her from Vandals. The IC engine did get tagged awhile back and the the teenagers caught. The judge not only threw the law at the kids but the parents and then the whole book. Ordering the families to repaint the locomotive and caboose and Wrecking crane, Then gave them the $50,000 dollar repair bill. Turns out the Locomotive was his father's last regular engine before he retired in 1957.

Stephen

chucknlead

That will teach them to disrespect daddy's engine!
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

Stephen Warrington

;) yup, don't mess with papa's pride and joy. The locomotive and tender were completely overhauled 2 days before she was put on display at first in a park then finally by the passenger station. How many GP38's does it take to move a Mountain? Two if you dont yank out the drawbar on the second unit.LOL

Some locals are trying to talk the IC/CN into putting her back into running condition. Now that would be sweet!

you dont realize howbig she is until you stand in front of it LOL! She was converted from a 2-10-2.

I plan to head back down that way and get some more detailed shots of her and the Big Hook that is on loan to the city.

Stephen

jsmvmd

dear Steve,

Nice pix. Could you tell me which camera you used, lens info, f stop, aperture, settings, etc?

To everyone, is that a 250 ton crane? If so, there is one in Altoona at the Railroaders Museum, on display. My friend Ted and I are due to take some pictures soon. We will post any good'uns.

Best Wishes, Jack

Stephen Warrington

Hi Jack,

My Camera is a old Kodak DC 3400 digital 2.0 megapixel.

One the Big Hook yes its a 250 ton crane built in 1925 I believe for the GM&O for years it was the wrecker in Jackson, MS then moved South to McComb for the equipment display there, under condition if the IC or CN ever needed it all they had to do was relay a switch and come pick itup. It was last used in 2005 in Louisiana  on the Lake Pontchartrain spillway Bridge after Hurricane Katrina roared through. IC had a second big hook in Jackson that was sold toa scrapyard but it ran so good it never was scrapped but used to load and unload the cars of scrap.

Stephen

Dusten Barefoot

Hay Steve.

Greate looking locomotives. I happen to be 15 but I am one who has respect for the Railraods and for my elders. By the way are there any narrow gauge railraods in the mighty state of mississippi. Also have you ever tride a virtual train simulator such as Trainz Railroad Sim or Train Sim. You can build your own railroads in Trainz.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Stephen Warrington

Hi Dusten,

All our Narrow guage lines have been gone for years since the great logging boom in the Yazoo Delta died out in the 1920s, mostly 3 foot guage. Some of our oldest lines did start life as narrow guage in the 1850s and a few broad gauge lines of the 5 foot variety. All of the early lines were converted to standard guage durning the 1880's.

My grand father and his brother did own two, two truck shays  that looked exactly like the Bachmann LS two truck shay near Grand Gulf in the 1920s and a saw mill. All the photos that family had of the operation was lost in the 1950s in a house fire and I lost my grandpa whenI was just 3. I have Train sim but don't run itas much as all my add ons are on a hard drive sitting on my desk I am waiting on a friend to help me install it soon soI wil have my IC route back and my Mountains again.

If you Have AIM send me a message and we can chatI am on most nights chatting with friends. I ain't like alot of adults Iwill chat trains to anyone that wants to chat about Railroads and steam I love RR history.

Stephen

Highball The Yellow Dog!

the Bach-man

Dear Stephen,
I'm sure you'll enjoy this site:
http://taplines.net/
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Stephen Warrington

;D Hi Mr. Bachmann I sure will enjoy it. I see they got the Fernwood Columbia and Gulf listed. One of my states old narrow gauge logging lines. It Connected with the IC in South MS. At one time MS had more than 500 miles in logging lines the state looked like a giant spider web.

http://steve.bill--porter.com/glory_days.htm Some of the old photos and postcards in my collection I got two wall maps thatI would need a huge scanner for dated back in the 1880's of the Railroad scene in MS.

Stephen

Dusten Barefoot

Steve just look for Barefootdn3@aol.com and thats me, is there any NG trains perserved in Mississippi.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Stephen Warrington

Hi Dusten, I am Swarri1350 on AIM, sorry no 3 footers left in MS no five footers either when the IC and the Y&MV got through on that famous day in 1886 when they standard gauged over 400 of track in one day not many other gauges were left by 1920 the two main RRs in MS was the IC and the Y&MV plus a few others.

Stephen