News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command DCC System

Started by chaynes, February 22, 2010, 04:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaynes

I have a EZ Command DCC system (1 amp), in order to run more than one locomotive, I need to add a power booster, such as the 5 amp booster that bacchman sells, correct???

Can I add a second EZ command controller to this system to allow a second user simultaneous control to a second locomotive?

Chris

ABC

E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System
Price: $127.00
Product Code: 44902
Quote from: chaynes on February 22, 2010, 04:03:40 PM
I have a EZ Command DCC system (1 amp), in order to run more than one locomotive, I need to add a power booster, such as the 5 amp booster that bacchman sells, correct???
No that is incorrect, the E-Z Command has enough juice to run at least 3 locos and depending on your locos you could run up to 4 without any problems. If you have all new locomotives that draw .2 amps each then you can run 4 DCC locos, but once you add a DC loco to the mix you can only run 2 or 3 depending on how many amps it is drawing. So you would not need to buy a booster unless you want to run 5 or more locos simultaneously.

Quote from: chaynes on February 22, 2010, 04:03:40 PM
Can I add a second EZ command controller to this system to allow a second user simultaneous control to a second locomotive?
No, you cannot add a second DCC E-Z Command system, however you can add several walk around controllers, which are different than the controller included with the system.
Here's a quote from the E-Z Command FAQ section on the red tab to the left.
QuoteCan I use 2 or more  E-Z Command®   units to have more than 10 trains on the layout at once?
Not at this time.  E-Z Command®  can currently control only 10 DCC addresses.  Several locomotives can be assigned to the same address and thus be controlled as a consist.  You can of course also select up to 10 locomotives from your larger fleet to have on the layout at once, reprogramming the locomotive decoders for each session to suit the address numbers available.
E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion (with Connector Wires)

Product Information
Control multiple trains from convenient locations around your layout or coordinate independent railroad operations between a primary and secondary user.
    * plug-and-play connection to E-Z Command® Control Center
    * duplicates all locomotive addresses set on E-Z Command® Control Center
    * simultaneous throttle control of several locomotives
MSRP: $115.00
Product Code: 44907

chaynes

...both of my DCC locos are current Bacchman Spectrum products (4-8-2 Mountain and 3-truck shay)  How can I determine, or where can I find out, how many amps these locos draw?

OldTimer

This is a very easy test, but you need a multi-meter.  If you have a power pack with ammeter and voltmeter built in, you're ahead of the game. 

Attach the one lead of the meter to one of the power pack's veriable DC terminals.  Attach the other meter lead to the one rail of the track.  Attach a wire from the other rail to the other power pack variable DC terminal. 

Put the loco on the track and hold on to it.  Apply 12 volts to the track (if you don't have a volt meter to measure this, just crank up the throtle about 3/4).  The wheels will spin like crazy.  Push down on the engine until the wheels stop.  Read the meter.  That's the stall current.  Hope this helps.

Old Timer

Just workin' on the railroad.

ABC

Quote from: chaynes on February 23, 2010, 02:26:26 PM
...both of my DCC locos are current Bacchman Spectrum products (4-8-2 Mountain and 3-truck shay)  How can I determine, or where can I find out, how many amps these locos draw?
You will be fine running these two, you do not need to purchase a booster. They are likely around .3 amps give or take.