News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Significance of "5"

Started by jonathan, February 23, 2010, 09:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

This may be a silly question, but I have wondered for a while:

What is the significance of "5" on so many of Bachmann's logos?
Does it refer to the 5 scales offered by Bachmann? (N, HO, On30, O, Large)

Hopefully, curiosity won't kill this cat...

Regards,

Jonathan

Jim Banner

Is that a 5 or a stylized B ?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Loco Bill

It is one of those logos that can be read two ways. If you look at the red center it does look like a five, but if you look at the gold border around the five it is a B.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

jonathan

I see it now, sort of.  That is one super-stylized "B".   Thanks for setting me straight, Jim.

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Bachmann has been around a long time and the "B" is probably derived from the old German gothic script which is very fancy stuff.

When I studied German in college I had trouble doing some of the reading selections because of the alphabet which had an extra letter or two. For example there is a letter that resembles a "B" but is actually a double s sound.

The Gothic alphabet is still used today - the title of the New York Times is in Gothic script.

Kevin Strong

Actually, it was originally going to be used for the ill-fated Bachman-Turner Overdrive/Jackson 5 reunion tour. :P

Seriously, you're not the only person to wonder that... It took me quite a few years in my youth to realize it was actually a "B." (I will not comment as to whether it was before or after I graduated from high school. ;) )

Later,

K

Jhanecker2

Woody the old form of German scrip is called fraktur and that  "B" shaped letter is called ess-zett  and is used as a double  S .  John II  auf Wiedersehen.

scottychaos

I never saw the "5" before! it has always looked like a "B" to me..
I actually to look at it for a second before I could see this mysterious 5! :)

I suppose that could be a 5 on the inside..
but the main part of the logo is quite obviously a B IMO..

jonathan,
you are probably the only person who ever thought it was a 5! ;)

Scot

jonathan

Scot,

Actually, the logo you posted?  THAT is the very first Bachmann logo, I've seen, that really looks likes a "B".  Nice Graphics.  Every other logo I've seen is so cartoon-like, they were obvious "5s" to me.

Sorry to cause such a fuss.  Perhaps that fact that I'm mostly colorblind, has kept me from seeing the logo like everybody else does.  I can't see the numbers in the colored dots, either.  Thank God, Steam engines are mostly black (sans weathering).

I was happy to let this thread die, as soon as Jim pointed out the "B" I couldn't see.

Regards,

Jonathan