News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repairing An Observation Car

Started by Dasher, February 17, 2010, 06:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dasher

I recently bought a Bachmann/Spectrum PRR Observation car on eBay to complete my set of cars from that set. Unfortunately, in transit to me, the gold railing broke off completely. This isn't the drumhead end of the observation car railing but the railing at the other end of the car...the simple gold "toothpick" railing.

My question is: does anyone know how much Bachmann might charge to replace that railing and has anyone ever needed to have that done? I have no idea whether I can/should do it as I have no idea what parts might be needed.

I'd try to find another car with an intact railing, but, as many of you know, the Bachmann PRR set's Observation car is scarcer than anything to find as a single car...especially in new condition.

Thanks, guys...

Dasher

SideTracked

The standard (non-observation) end's end beam with railing and break wheel simply snaps off and is interchangeable with the other passenger cars. The problem is going to be the finish. If the end beam assembly is not available from factory parts, keep an eye on eBay (or other source) for any Bachmann with gold railings to be your donor car.
Are we having fun yet?

Dasher

Wow...thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. That sounds like a very easy fix. I'll have to find a car to "sacrifice" that end-beam assembly to add onto my Observation car.

I really appreciate your feedback and input...

Dasher

Dasher

SideTracked...

I got a callback from Jennifer at Bachmann. She is sending me the assembly I need to replace the end railing/brake wheel on my PRR Observation car and, yes, it is "gold".

Actually, there are two parts in the package for both ends of the car and the price was a reasonable 11 bucks, which included shipping/handling. Not bad.

Now, if I can just see where that part "snaps" on and off, I'm golden. :-)

Thanks, again, for your kind assistance...

Dasher

LurchBird

That's great, Dasher. Now, I didn't see this part on the Bachmann "Order Parts" tab. Did you initiate the contact with an email or phone call?

Thanks.
Mark

SideTracked

Dasher,

You're most welcome.

Nice to know the end beam assembly is available, and in gold. Don't worry about having to buy a pair -- rest assured the extra will eventually be called into service. The night elevs are known to make off with brake wheels.

For the swap, first remove the coupler. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it's delicate Method 1: From below, with an x-acto chisel blade, open the gaps between the end beam and the step wells. Work each side open uniformly to avoid over-bending the beam. I've yet to damage an end beam, but there have been times I was concerned. When the center section starts to move, you're almost finished. If the center is being stubborn, coax open the joints, where the end beam overlaps the floor board and forms a pocket, at each side of the coupler gear box. I use a small screwdriver and give it a very slight twist after I get it slightly into the joint. You might try this first before starting to pry with the a-xacto (some cars are tighter than others).

Method 2: Once the beam has been removed and replaced, future removals can often be accomplished by placing a finger tip in each of the step-wells and pulling on the end beam's slight protrusions.

Good luck,
Pete
Are we having fun yet?

Dasher

LurchBird...

I actually called AND e-mailed Bachmann with my request. I got a callback from Jennifer who is listed on their website as a parts consultant, I believe. She knew exactly the part(s) I needed, quoted a price, took my billing info and everything was done.

I didn't see those parts on the "parts ordering" on the website, either. I guess it just pays to talk with them personally in case they have those parts on-hand.

Thanks for the comeback...

Dasher

Dasher

SideTracked...

Thanks for the easy-to-follow instructions on changing out the end portion of my Observation car. Your step-by-step method is outstanding. I thank you again!

Just an observation, but, isn't this a great hobby that has so many nice, helpful and friendly people who don't mind taking a moment to give advice, offer a suggestion or exchange info?

It's really a pleasure to be a part of such a great group of people!

Dasher

Linzthom

Dasher. It's not only in the USA, but world wide. On30 guys and gals always seem to be having fun doing this scale; from New Zealand ( where I live ) to the UK to South Africa, Asia the Americas.  ;D ;D It only seems to get better !!!!
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Dasher

Linzthom...

Many thanks for the reminder that our hobby is, indeed, worldwide. Best to you and the rest of your fellow modelers in New Zealand, Australia and around the world.

Dasher