News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

steamer

Started by full maxx, February 23, 2010, 08:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

what is a good steam engine for 18" radius curves...I think the 2-8-0 that has hit the floor 3 times has had it ...it runs but it is like it is dragging at certain spots ... almost like it is rubbing internally and slows way down then speeds back up, both other engines run fine w/o problem...should I get another 2-8-0 or would there be a better choice for about the same price...I have to replace it as my little engineer want an engine that will run the whole track, the other two don't like the 18"...thanks in advance
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ta152h0

I have 2-10-2's that male it no problem at slower speeds.I have not tried the 2-6-6-2 logging loco ( still in the boxx soon to be unearthed )

Pacific Northern

My favorite steamers are the Bachmann 4-6-0's.

I use one of the 52" small driver engines as a freight engine and the larger 63" driver model as a passenger engine.  Just love the detail on these two engines.
Pacific Northern

OldTimer

Small radius curves require small rolling stock.  I think the Bachmann 2-8-0 is one of my favorite small engines along with the Decapod.  In spite of having one more axle than the Consolidation, the 2-10-0 is really a small engine.  The Bachmann 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 will work fine, too.  And the Bachmann steamers have the reputation of being pretty good runners.  Having said that, since this engine is for your youngster, why not get him a Thomas "character."  I have a Thomas and a couple of passenger cars for my grandson and he loves to run it.  The Thomas engines have a lot fewer little parts attached and are more easily handled by junior engineers.  Just a thought, but the equipment is cute and colorful, reasonably priced, and runs well.  Kadee makes a coupler that fits in the NEM socket if you want to "mix and match" with your North American rolling stock.
Just workin' on the railroad.

ABC

As far as price goes the 2-8-0 is the best engine for the money as all the other engines mentioned are more expensive, also some of them may require slow speed operation not to derail on the 18" radius curves. The Spectrum 2-8-0 can be had for around $50 on ebay at auction.

uncbob

Yeah the 2-8-0 is a good choice
So is a USRA 2-8-2

Both of mine run the inside 18 with no problems and the nice thing is both engines can be used from the 1920s right up to the end of steam around 58-59

pdlethbridge

Why don't you look at some of the non-spectrum steam like the 0-6-0, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2. If you not using DCC, these would be great for your son. Some of these come with Decoders if you want it. Most important is the price. Notice this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-0-6-0-DCC-UNION-PACIFIC-TRAIN-00502-Steam-Loco_W0QQitemZ350320516385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item5190badd21

ABC

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 23, 2010, 10:46:57 PM
Why don't you look at some of the non-spectrum steam like the 0-6-0, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2. If you not using DCC, these would be great for your son. Some of these come with Decoders if you want it. Most important is the price.
One slight problem, he is using DCC, an E-Z Command I believe.

jbsmith

the  Bachmann 0-6-0 is a good first steam engine for engineers that young. [4 or 5yo]
They can still be found for about $60 -75 or less if you look around enough.

Model Power and Life Like also make 0-4-0 steamers that are inexpensive, about $35. If he wrecks them, it is not as if you're out $135 or more. 

the Bachmann 2-6-0 and 2-6-2 are the same as the 0-6-0, the only differences being the pilot and trailing trucks.

pdlethbridge

as I said, Some of these come with Decoders if you want it.  read the post before you answer

ABC

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 23, 2010, 11:54:51 PM
as I said, Some of these come with Decoders if you want it.  read the post before you answer
I know they have the 0-6-0 with vandy and DCC in Up or undec, but in my opinion the Bachmann 0-6-0, 2-6-0, and 2-6-2 are not good locomotives for the money. The 0-6-0T w/ DCC is more expensive than the 2-8-0 with DCC between 2 to 3 fold. These locomotives have problems more so than a spectrum 2-8-0 that can be bought for under $50 for the same price or less than the 2-6-2, 2-6-0, or 0-6-0 w/ or w/o DCC. Why not buy the much higher quality spectrum. It is like saying you have a choice between two cars a 1970's Volkswagen Rabbit that had the odometer rolled over twice and a Brand New Porche 911 for the same price and you take the Rabbit, even though the Porche is obviously much better than the Rabbit. So I'll ask you this...if you can only buy one loco a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 for $35 (what I paid for mine NIB) or a Bachmann 0-6-0 DC for $35, which one would you take?

Quote from: jbsmith on February 23, 2010, 11:52:13 PM
The [0-6-0] can still be found for about $60 -75 or less if you look around enough.
Model Power and Life Like also make 0-4-0 steamers that are inexpensive, about $35. If he wrecks them, it is not as if you're out $135 or more. 
The Bachmann 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2 can easily be found for $50 or less often as low as $35 NIB. I got one model power 0-4-0 (w/tender) & one Life-Like 0-4-0 (w/tender) brand new from a factory authorized dealer for $5 each for a grand total of $17.50 (counting $7.50 s&h).

jbsmith

if you are not averse to diesel,,,maybe perhaps a Metal one would be more durable for a young one,,,anyone have one of these? more durable and damage resistant?

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/490-2160

As you no doubt have learned by now, it is one of Murphys Laws that dictates that when a derailment occurs,
the train will always fall to the Outside of the track and take a canyon dive to the floor.

ABC

The metal model power locos run pretty good.

full maxx

yes I am running dcc and thanks for the concern about my little engineer being so young but he hasn't crashed the 2-8-0 , it was my older brother and me,,,we both ran it off the table by derailmant and I caught it with the vacuum cord, my little guy is very gentle with the trains, he was scared to back them up to hook up and don't want to run them full steam, and goes slow in reverse...if he had torn up the 2-8-0 I may or may not be trying to replace it so fast depending on how it happened but it was grown men that cause its almost death.I am really proud of him for his attitude toward the train set as he has damaged almost everything else with wheels that he has got like the mastiao ( think its spelled right) 1/18th scale cars and all the ones that are pull back and the 1/64 Herbie the love bugs that we paid 55 bucks for a set of 5 at Christmas. The only thing that hasn't gotten broken at some point are the automoblocks... I wish I had the same ebay as the rest of you but my ebay don't have the mentioned engines at the listed pricesall the 2-6-0 0-6-0 4-6-0- are all between 200=300 bucks unless I'm not searching correctly
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com