News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 2-6-0's DCC/Sound ready?

Started by NKline, March 12, 2010, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKline

I have heard that in the new Bachmann catalog the On30 2-6-0's are listed as having a plug for DCC. What about a "cutout" in the tender for a speaker? Bach-man, can you confirm or debunk any of this and fill us in on any other details? Thanks.
-Nathan

Linzthom

Nathan,

I have the new catalogue in front of me. There is NO mention of dcc in the description at all for any of the 3 the 2-6-0s.

The only new things I can see are:

.  2 door baggage car in Burgandy and Black

.  Combine Car in Burgandy and Black

.  Observation Car in Burgandy and Black AND Olive Green

.  Jackson and Sharp Coach in Burgandy and Black

All the above are Unlettered

There's also a Boxcar : Christmas Fruitcake Car ( but it is a Willams car shown)

A Stock Car : D&RGW in black

And that's about it.

Lindsay

I'm going to live forever; or die trying

NKline

Quote from: Linzthom on March 12, 2010, 04:06:31 PM
Nathan,

I have the new catalogue in front of me. There is NO mention of dcc in the description at all for any of the 3 the 2-6-0s.

The only new things I can see are:

.  2 door baggage car in Burgandy and Black

.  Combine Car in Burgandy and Black

.  Observation Car in Burgandy and Black AND Olive Green

.  Jackson and Sharp Coach in Burgandy and Black

All the above are Unlettered

There's also a Boxcar : Christmas Fruitcake Car ( but it is a Willams car shown)

A Stock Car : D&RGW in black

And that's about it.

Lindsay

Lindsay,

I guess the person I heard it from got it confused with something else although I didn't know about the new undec passenger cars until now. Thanks for the info.

-Nathan

Tomcat

Hi Nathan,

unfortunately they are not DCC ready; but I have just finished adding DCC plus sound to a Bachmann C&S Mogul, something I had done two times a while back. If one follows Harold Minkwitz´s instructions, it´s a almost easy job. I have put the decoder in the engine by filing off some material Bachmann uses for the weight inlay, so there are just two cords to the tender. If one drills some holes to allow a speaker to be put inside the tender, it works pretty fine.
I had used a Loksound HO scale decoder, but on my other two conversions I had used the Soundtraxx decoders, which meant to put them into the tender since they´re a bit bigger.

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

NKline

Quote from: Tomcat on March 13, 2010, 02:33:43 AM
Hi Nathan,

unfortunately they are not DCC ready; but I have just finished adding DCC plus sound to a Bachmann C&S Mogul, something I had done two times a while back. If one follows Harold Minkwitz´s instructions, it´s a almost easy job. I have put the decoder in the engine by filing off some material Bachmann uses for the weight inlay, so there are just two cords to the tender. If one drills some holes to allow a speaker to be put inside the tender, it works pretty fine.
I had used a Loksound HO scale decoder, but on my other two conversions I had used the Soundtraxx decoders, which meant to put them into the tender since they´re a bit bigger.

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately they are not DCC ready but fortunately they aren't that hard to add dcc/sound to. I've done it once with the decoder and speaker in the tender and running 6 wires between the loco and tender but I don't think I'd want to do that again, not that it was hard but I just would prefer not to do it again. This time I'm trying a motor control decoder contained in the loco and a sound only decoder in the tender with power pickups added to the rear truck, seems a little easier and cheaper believe it or not, about $80 until it's all said and done.

-Nathan