Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

trouble with Connie.....

Started by gscaletrainnut, February 25, 2010, 09:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gscaletrainnut

All,

My Connie is sick and I need some help.
OK, here are her symptoms, when shes going down the track it sounds like something is hitting/banging on her side rods. I looked at both sides and did not see any wear or marks or loose bolts that would be a cause of this. I got a small wrench and hex wrench and tightened the wheel weights and checked the side rod bolts.... I am stumped. Any one else have this problem? This is an older Connie, a non-dcc ready unit.... I like to think of it as a classic....   ;)

Thanks,

Hard Luck and Bankrupt RR
(HL&B RR)

Loco Bill

I am assuming no grinding noise from the gears and the motor is runnining ok. It could be that one of the drive rods is bent in slightly and makes contact with one of the others.  They can get bent in when taking the loco on an off the track.  If it is also wobbling down the track, the drivers may be out of Quarter.  Get real close eyes level with the track and run it slowly by, then turn it around and look over the other side. If anything is out of whack it will often show up.  Get the speed up to where the noise starts then increase gradually when doing this.

It is really tough to diagnose based on the info you have provided.  Maybe JD or others have some ideas.

I hope it helps somewhat.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Jon D. Miller

It's difficult to even guess what the problem may be without having the locomotive to check.

As Bill mentioned, make sure all the drivers are in quarter.  As an example all crank pins one side of the locomotive should be on the same plain.  For example all crank pins should line up at say the 3 o'clock position. If one crank pin is higher or lower than the others then it would be out of quarter. 

Did you tighten not only the side and connecting rod bolts but also the Phillips head screws that attach the counterweights and wheels to the axles?

Disconnet the connecting rod from each side of the locomotive. Take some fine wire and wire the connection rod up and out of the way so it will not hit on the crank pin.  Run the locomotive to see if you still have the noise.
If so, the check the side rods since they could be bent, as Bill mentions.

If no noise with this test, then it could be a connecting rod hitting. 

Other than that, without seeing the locomotive it's difficult to guess what the problem may be.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

gscaletrainnut

Thanks for the help. Today I will run it and video it. Post it on youtube, maybe you guys would look at it for me? I will post a link to it as soon as I get it done. ???

Thanks!

Hard Luck and Bankrupt RR
(HL&B RR)