News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turn Table

Started by oldgloryusa, February 26, 2010, 08:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgloryusa

When will Bachmann make a turn table to use with the EZ track?

ABC

If I'm not mistaken, they do make one, there's just one problem, you have to buy a "Thomas" roundhouse with it and it is only manual.
Tidmouth Sheds with Manually Operated Turntable

oldgloryusa

Your right.  Thanks!! But I would like one with a motor that will work with my dcc. Maybe they will bring one out?

ABC

Just buy an Atlas one and make some modifications to the track.

buzz

hi ABC
Can't say I see a problem with that given the market its aimed at.
would be nice if it had nickle silver rails rather than steel.
Nothing wrong with the loco shed a coat of more realistic color will not fix.

A turntable for the discerning adult would be a different beast all together.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

Joe323

Kinda looks like Yankee Stadium to me.  Could you change the track to N/S?

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Joe323 on February 28, 2010, 01:01:24 PM
Kinda looks like Yankee Stadium to me.  Could you change the track to N/S?

I believe it should be n/s considering the price tag attached to it

Jim Banner

To answer the rest of oldgloryusa's question, the Atlas and many other turntables will operate with your DCC.  Just add a low cost decoder.  Connect the red and black leads to a convenient source of DCC signal (usually the closest powered track) and the orange and grey wires to the turntable motor.  You can even use a lighting output to operate the roundhouse lights.  If your DCC system allows it, and you use a suitable decoder, you can use the second lighting output for a yard light or a light on the turntable bridge.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Jim Banner on March 01, 2010, 04:52:19 PM
To answer the rest of oldgloryusa's question, the Atlas and many other turntables will operate with your DCC.  Just add a low cost decoder.  Connect the red and black leads to a convenient source of DCC signal (usually the closest powered track) and the orange and grey wires to the turntable motor.  You can even use a lighting output to operate the roundhouse lights.  If your DCC system allows it, and you use a suitable decoder, you can use the second lighting output for a yard light or a light on the turntable bridge.

Jim

Bravo, what an interesting concept

Pacific Northern

The Atlas HO turntable is geared to serving tracks at 15 degree offsets. What are the indexes for the bays of the Thomas roundhouse?
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

Based on ABC's photo above, there are 9 equally spaced tracks in 180o so the spacing would be 180 / 9 = 20o.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

oldgloryusa

Hi
I've been gone for a couple weeks but would like to thank each of you for your input. I'm still trying to decide on what table if any, I will buy. My layout keeps getting larger so I may decide not to use one. I have all of my loco's (15)on the track now.
I run 5 of them at the same time on 3 different lines. The remaining loco's are complete with cars and I just switch them from a number of sidings on all 3 lines. This rotates the loco's so they all get run time. Thanks Again!!

Craig

Quote from: oldgloryusa on March 20, 2010, 07:12:09 PM
The remaining loco's are complete with cars and I just switch them from a number of sidings on all 3 lines. This rotates the loco's so they all get run time. Thanks Again!!

I used to do something very similar. I kept entire trains on spurs in my freight yard; 14 of them to be exact. Now I just keep the rolling stock in the freight yard and the engines are in the new engine yard, which features a Walthers 130' turntable.

jgaynor

Quote from: Jim Banner on March 02, 2010, 11:32:15 PM
Based on ABC's photo above, there are 9 equally spaced tracks in 180o so the spacing would be 180 / 9 = 20o.

Jim

Jim if you look at the picture again, counting all the section with in 180 there are 10 so that's 180/10 = 18 so my guess would be roughly a 15 degree spread between track. I tried to lay it out with a program I down loaded call ANYTRACK and it looked wrong but looks right at 15

if anyone has issues trying to figure out a layout I fully suggest purchasing this software off the web I found it worth the $50+/-
I do it all for the love of my son Cameron

NarrowMinded

Jgaynor,
I think you may be counting wrong. You may be counting the same track twice, count the spaces on one side of the turn table track, you will see there are 9, add 9 for the other side 18 total (track or not there will be an equal space) divide 360 by 18 you will end up with 20 so I think Jim is right.

Just my  1/2 cent <-- all I can afford in this economy.

NM