News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command / Entry Level DCC

Started by HOX2008, March 02, 2010, 05:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOX2008

I'm looking to get out of analog into basic DCC.  I've watched the Bachmann EZ Command video on YouTube, and it answered a few questions, but left me with a few more questions.  A little background before I ask.  I'm really interested in just powering 2 or 3 Bachmann locomotives overall.  I don't have any sound systems or anything of that nature, I just would like to run 2 or possibly 3 locomotives at the same time.  Nothing fancy, just something simple.  The locomotives would be the Saddle Tank Porter, a 2nd Gen 10 Wheeler, Thomas, and possibly other Thomas related locomotives in the future.  The fanciest I would get on track plan in the future, would be a reverse loop module.  Currently I can run a Porter and Ten Wheeler on the same track with the factory supplied power pack and everything runs just fine, however I would like to control them independently.  I would convert the DCC ready Porter to DCC and Thomas as well before the transition.

Will the Bachmann EZ Command be enough to power a Porter / Thomas or Percy / Thomas at the same time or Will I have to get the 5 amp booster?
Is the Bachmann 1 Amp Decoder w/ Wire Harness sufficient?
If not, which decoder do you recommend?
Does anyone have experience with the Bachmann Reverse Loop module in large scale?  If so what would I need to make it work? (besides switches and an isolator of some kind).

Nathan

You want to use a 'Large Scale' decoder on the Large Scale Bachmann Locomotives as they have a peak current more then the standard HO Scale decoders can handle.  Look at the Large Scale Decoders from Digitras, Lenz, NCE or others. 

When running my Big Hauler 0-4-0 with Thomas and Percy I run about 1.2 to 1.5 amps  continuous current, but there is a 'peak' or start up surge current that the booster will see.  Remember that as you add locomotives just 'sitting' in the yard they will also draw some current when not running.  You may be dollars ahead in the long run getting a system designed to handle 8 to 10 amps.

There are several ways to handle Reverse Loops.  There are Reverse Loop modules available  from $20 on up that will work without having to so anything but put in insulated rail joiners and a feed point in the reversing section.