News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-2 Can DCC be fitted?

Started by Sunshine Express, March 04, 2010, 08:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

Is it possible to fit DCC into a Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie Tender Loco ?
Owen C Robinson

ABC

If you want to put DCC in this loco, it would be best to wire the tender to pick-up power and put the decoder. It would otherwise likely require milling and redistribution of some parts and you may have to remove the smoke unit. Are you pretty handy with electronics and a soldiering iron? If not, if you're not absolutely set on a 2-6-2, buy a Bachmann Spectrum 9formerly) 2-8-0 consolidation which is of much higher quality and is a lot less likely to have a parts failure and comes standard with DCC. It can be bought for around $50-$75 from ebay and other online dealers. Because a decoder costs about $20, the 2-6-2 probably ran around $80, so that's $25-$50 more for an inferior loco.

ryeguyisme

keep in mind the bachmann 0-6-0 that comes with DCC is the same mechanism as the DC one

Sunshine Express

Thanks for that,yes I did have a Spectrum 2-8-0,nice loco,but the 8 couple wheel arrangement did not like my Peco curved Points.Sold it and am looking for the 6 wheel job now. I also have a Heritage 0-6-0,which I had to fit a decoder into,and it is fine. The choice of small steam locos in America is pittiful compared to bygone years when Rivarossi-Mantua Bowser-Roundhouse ruled the rails.I am in my 80th.year and in those days I was raising kids and could not afford them,that,s life. However I have always had a love of Fleischmann stock,and of recent years have enjoyed running some very fine small locos both at home and at our A.M.R.A.Club layout. Look up AMRA web site,some really good photos of club,annual state train show,and guess who ?. Thanks again,I appreciate this forum. Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson

ABC

My suggestion if you really need a loco with DCC and 6 drive wheels is to buy an 0-6-0 with DCC and add the 2 lead and trailing trucks to make a 2-6-2 prairie.

Jim Banner

There should be plenty of room in the locomotive for a small decoder such as a Digitrax DZ125.  Instead of reducing the weight, consider mounting the decoder in the cab or removing the smoke unit and putting the decoder in its place.  As an added benefit, the DZ125 includes back EMF control which gives super low speed control.  This decoder is compatible with the Digitrax Sound Bug which would allow you to install a compact sound system in the tender at a reasonable price.

I've been playing around with 0n30 recently which has really renewed my love affair with small steam.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: ABC on March 04, 2010, 09:12:24 PM
If you want to put DCC in this loco...you may have to remove the smoke unit.
Sometimes after installing DCC the loco is really picky about having good electrical pickup. So your track and wheels will need to be extra clean for optimal operation, and it wouldn't hurt to have tender pickup, especially if you have turnouts with non-powered frogs.