News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO EZ-Track #5 turnout measurements

Started by Joe Satnik, March 04, 2010, 07:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Hunt inspired me to do some serious measuring and calculating on the HO EZ-Track #5 turnout, mostly to make sure I was getting it right and not spreading disinformation. 

Turns out my previous advice to others on the board wasn't as accurate as I had hoped for.     

Measurements/Calculations to center-line of track.

X-axis = along the main line.   

M = direct measurement
C = calculated from measurements

11.5"  mainline length (M)

1.646" y-offset of divergent route (C)

(1.646" x 2 = 3.292" crossover mainline spacing)(C)

11.318" x-offset of divergent route from points end (C)

0.182" x-offset of divergent route from main end (C)

12.41 degrees divergent departure angle and frog angle (C)

4-5/8 (4.625) turnout # and frog # (C)

52.9" substitution radius (C)

25.5" RCR (radius of the closure rail) (C)

Raw data and formulas on request.

Measurements within 1/32"

Calculations/conversions show more significant digits than +/- 1/32" would allow.

e.g. measure something as 1/16" and convert it to decimal 0.0625" (4 significant digits of accuracy (??) - not likely).

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

Edit: Added "HO EZ-Track"

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Poppy1944

This is close to what I've been trying to find from the products description.  What turnouts should I get as part of a 22" Radius oval I'm trying to make?  Only the 'basic' turnout seems to include a radius specification.

Thanks

OldTimer

You cannot directly replace a section of curved track with a turnout because the diverging route through the frog is not curved.  There are exceptions.  Most brands of sectional track have what you call a "basic" turnout that will replace a section of 18" radius track (a fitter piece may be required on the other side of the oval), to facilitate making very basic track plans.  The Atlas Snap Switch is an example.  Also, European manufacturers like Roco and Peco make turnouts that are designed to match the radii of their sectional track.

Having said that, a turnout with a curved frog takes up much less room and works well in small layouts where space is at a premium.  Look up the Turtle Creek project layout that MR did several years ago.  By using curved frog turnouts and cutting them down, the MR crew packed a lot of track into a small space.

Generally speaking, #4 turnouts work well with 18" radius track and #6 turnouts work well with 22"-24" radius track and larger.  Turnouts with frog numbers larger than #6 are not generally used by most model railroaders because they require a LOT of room.

Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe Satnik

Dear Poppy,

I have been quite busy lately, now have a few moments. 

Most people try to make an "Early Cutoff" configuration with a L & R turnout pair. 

(L divergent route, buncha left curves, R divergent route, train now headed opposite direction on other side of oval.)

With my newer #5 turnout measurements, this recipe is not quite as accurate as I once thought, but may work well enough to not derail trains. 

It is too wide, however, to fit on a 4' x 8' sheet.  (51" fence to fence width needed.)

L divergent route #5
3 ea. 22"R curves (all curves turn to left)
2 ea. 22"R half curves*
(*Two half curves allow expandability in layout width, substitute one regular 22"R curve if expandability not desired. )
3 ea. 22"R curves
R divergent route #5

L main route #5
4 ea. 22"R curves (all curves turn to left)
1 ea. 3" straight (3-1/4" is closer, math wise.)
4 ea. 22"R curves
R main route #5

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.