News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rapido couplers

Started by lionelboys, February 28, 2010, 09:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionelboys

hello im new to N scale i inherited a ton of atlas freight cars with the old rapido couplers, looking to buy the 2 8 0 consolidated, 4 8 4 j northern and 4 8 2 mountain i was wondering if they all would have the rapido couplers, thanks much

mhampton

If you buy anything made fairly recently, they will probably have knuckle couplers installed and MAY have spare Rapidos included that you can switch out yourself.

lionelboys

thanks mike, if they only come with the knuckle couplers is there a good site where i can buy the rapidos and convert them myself, thanks again i appreciate any help, looking forward to the new hobby

Franz T

The Rapido Couple is finally going the way of 16-bit software.... Your local hobby shop *may* still have some floating around, if they are a well stocked store. Check with B'mann's Service Department, or maybe someone on this board may have some they can send you. I threw all of my crapidos away as fast as I could replace them with MicroTrains or Accumate couplers...

jscola30

If I were you, I would replace the whole truck on the cars with Micro-trains trucks. Switching out n scale couplers is hard for my sausage fingers and I find it much easier. I think on the whole, knuckle couplers are more reliable than rapidos, however, I can't say that the knuckles have been perfect either. Here are the conversion charts http://www.micro-trains.com/00_conversions.htm

donfrey

I too would advise converting to the knuckle couplers.  Most of the new rolling stock, regardless of manufacturer, is coming equipped with knuckle couplers.  In my experience, a large proportion of what is for sale used also has knuckle couplers.  So, my advice is to bite the bullet and convert.  Whether you replace just the couplers or replace trucks and all is a matter of skill and dexterity, availability, and finances.  The first purchase I would make is a good lighted magnifying glass or visor.  ;D

Good luck!
Don

Bucksco

Anything produced by Bachmann before December 2009 in N scale would come equipped with knuckle couplers and spare "rapido" type couplers. Beginning with the second run of our new 44 Tonner in December we've begun to install a brand new "sprung" knuckle coupler (see photo). This will mate perfectly with our original knuckle coupler and will operate magnetically! The new coupler is only included with locos like the 44 tonner, the new C&O H4 and all new locos from 2010 forward. It will be available as a separate sale item later this year as well.
This coupler is quite revolutionary.

dtpowell

The more I see the new coupler. The more I like it. I can see many advantages to it. It's one piece design will certainly make it much easier to installed in applications that don't have the draft gear. The current MT automatics are two piece and are a pain to install. Nice job Bachmann.