News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mogul size

Started by az2rail, April 03, 2010, 02:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

az2rail

I was wondering about the size of Bachmann's 1:20.3 mogul, the 816xx series How does it compare up against, say a heisler, or the the new forney. Is it smaller, larger, same size? Is it narrow gauge, or a standard gauge engine, which should make it small compared to the other 1:20.3 equipment.

Thanks,
Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Jon D. Miller

The item # 816XX is the Industrial Mogul.  It is small in size when compared to any of the other 1:20.3 scale locomotives.  Remember, it is an Industrial locomotive used around large factories, power plants and plantations.

The engine/tender combination measures 23 1/2" from coupler to coupler. Width at its widest point, the front pilot beam, is 4 5/32".  Height from railhead at stack is 5 13/16".

Placed next to the Centennial Mogul, a small engine in its own right, the Industrial Mogul is small.  

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Kevin Strong

"Small" is an understatement. The locomotive is diminutive, if not outright puny. That's not saying there weren't industrial locomtives built to those proportions, but if you're looking for a locomotive to be of a certain proportion relative to your rolling stock, just be forewarned, this sucker's a runt.

Here it is relative to the 4-6-0 and 2-8-0...

Later,

K

az2rail

Thanks to both of you!!!! This is the information I was looking for.

I think that it will be smaller that I am looking for. So, I will wait until one shows up at a train show so I can see one before I buy.
Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

VirginiaCentral

And don't forget, the "Indy" has trouble pulling itself around the track.  Add a couple of cars and your're maxed out.  I was out, running mine last Sunday, trying to pull one boxcar and a coach.  My railroad is essentially flat.  There is one little "hump" where the track has to cross a small rock.  It's not even a 1/2% grade, and the Indy would stall there every time.

So I switched it out with one of my shays, added eight cars, and had a grand afternoon runing trains.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Jon D. Miller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLCm9VTJak

Here's a short video of the Indy.  It doesn't have any problem handling a short consist.  In this video it is pulling 1:22.5 equipment.  I also use it to pull mostly 1:20.3 scratch built equipment.

The cab is a Banta kit.  The Indy had the front pilot spring modifed and weight added. The pilot modification and slight amount of weight added gave the little locomotive enough pulling power to handle three to four car consists.

I like its small size and regularly run it with the much larger 1:20.3 locomotives.

One of the "Enthusiastc Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

glennk28

the "Indy" was based on the 2-4-2, which was similar to Hawaii RR #5--I once saw the 5 alongside the "Eureka" , not a very large loco itself, but the Eureka dwarfed the 5. 

There was an article in Garden Railways a few years ago that used the cab and tender of the 4-6-0 to make the Indy larger. 

In adding weight fill the air tanks with lead shot. 

gj

norman

I was hoping that Bachmann would produce a 2-4-4 Forney using the Indy as a starting point.
The present Forney is far too expensive.
My interest is 1:24 scale. The 1:20.3 4-4-0 fits in nicely for my needs. The remaining locos are all too large.
Mr. Bachmann, any chance of the Indy returning as a 2-4-4 Forney ?

Thank you
Norman