News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacing the front coupler on IHC 2-8-0

Started by Stephen Warrington, May 05, 2007, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

Hi Guys, Dumb question time, I need to replace the front coupler on a IHC 2-8-0 and for the world of me cant figure out what is holding it. I dont see a screw is their a friction pin I am over looking with my blind eyes.

Thanks
Stephen

lanny

Hi Stephen,

I haven't tried to replace an IHC 2-8-0 coupler, but back when I kit bashed my IHC 2-10-2, someone on this forum was kind enough to share instructions for installing a working pilot coupler (Kadee) on that 'beastie'. It now works fine when double heading, etc.

I apologize for not being able to remember who was kind enough to help me with that, because it worked very well. Perhaps that 'someone' can give you some advice on the IHC 2-8-0.

hope you get it worked out.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

ebtbob

Lanny,

I may have been the person who gave you help putting an operating coupler on the 2-10-2.   I know I sent someone pix of my installation.  Steamgene comes to mind,  and maybe it was he,  who sent you my pix.
      Anyway,   if anyone needs to see pix of what I did,  I would be glad to take some more and send them on their way as I did not save the orginal pix.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Stephen,

I had a couple of the IHC 2-8-0s a few years ago.   I cannot remember how they had the pilot coupler mounted,   but I do remember not having to do any surgery,  etc,  to change them from the coupler provided to the McHenry or KD that I used in its place.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Stephen Warrington

Thanks guys for the comments and recamendations.

Stephen

lanny

Stephen,

I sent you a 'private' eMail regarding your IHC 2-8-0.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

Well guys it was a success I used a new Kadee #148 coupler it was a tight fit to get it to go in the slot but once in there it lined up perfect thank goodness the little black friction pin was a bugger to get out and once it popped free it flew to never never land but with the snug fitof the #148 you cant tell its missing and yes I tested it out it will pull 20 fairly heavy Atlas and Walthers loaded pulpwood cars fine and double head with my Spec 2-8-0 Now to find a replacement bell that looks decent.

Stephen

ebtbob

Stephen,

I like the selection of bells from Cal Scale,  a part of Bowser.  Go to the Bowser website at www.bowser-trains.com and click on the link for Cal Scale.   You will be able to see drawings of all the Cal Scale parts and they are list alphabetically.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Stephen Warrington

Thanks Bob,

I will check out Bowsers offerings.

Stephen