News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler for Atlas cars

Started by nrnr, May 06, 2007, 01:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrnr

The Atlas freight cars (N-scale) seem to be really interesting and I think they have more variety. However, in the pictures I saw on the internet - they have a different kind of coupler than Bachmann.
Would highly appreciate if someone could tell me how to couple the Atlas cars with the Bachmann freight cars I already own? Do I need to replace the Atlas trucks with the coupler mounted trucks of Bachmann or is there some other way?   ???

fieromike

Quote from: nrnr on May 06, 2007, 01:09:29 AM
The Atlas freight cars (N-scale) seem to be really interesting and I think they have more variety. However, in the pictures I saw on the internet - they have a different kind of coupler than Bachmann.
Would highly appreciate if someone could tell me how to couple the Atlas cars with the Bachmann freight cars I already own? Do I need to replace the Atlas trucks with the coupler mounted trucks of Bachmann or is there some other way?   ???

Bachmann uses the Rapido type of coupler that was the standard n scale coupler for many years. 
Atlas has recently started using an Accumate licensed knuckle type coupler that was originated (in n scale) by Micro-Trains.  This type coupler is fast becoming the default coupler due to its more prototypical appearance and better operating qualities. 
Rather than switching any new cars to the Rapido type coupler, consider switching your existing roster to the knuckle type... you won't be sorry.
In the meantime, you can use a 'transition' car with a Rapido on one end and a knuckle on the other.  That would allow you to use both types of coupler in one train.

Mike

GlennW

Bachmann should have their new knucke couplers available by now. Early reports put them in a similar class as Red Caboose Unimates: they should couple with anything else. They may be good for unit trains that you don't switch very often, or take the time to uncouple manually when you do. Some modelers don't mind doing a brakeman's job: assemble & test the brakes & couplers before moving the train.

Atlas has been using Accumates for a few years. I've heard some reports of them breaking after 30+ cars. I'm not sure if there is any difference for Atlas new standard or TrainMan cars. I suspect the main difference is the fine details on some of the new cars. TrainMan appears to be a way to continue old car models with newer paint at a nice price.

Your best bet could be to convert both cars to MTL's. Get the 10paks to do a bunch of cars at once. Converting one end of each car is a good way to start till you get enough MTL's to do the fleet. A good test is to be sure your trucks & wheelsets are the best runners. MTL's may be the best.

nrnr

Glenn and Mike,
many thanks for the information! I am fairly new to this so it was very helpful indeed.

Need some clarifications with your replies though, which I hope you could answer.

1) If I have to replace the existing couplers with Atlas or MTL couplers, I would need to buy the coupler mounted Atlas or MTL trucks right  - as there is no other place to fit standalone couplers. Will these trucks fit into the Bachmann freight cars easily?

2) I saw in the Bachmann site itself that they have "dummy knuckle coupler" truck assembly. Can I use these truck assemblies to couple them to the Atlas cars?

Thanks in advance!

Franz T

In answer to question 1, you don't need to buy the whole truck, you can buy Micro-Trains couplers themselves and replace them on the trucks;, IIRC the most common B'mann conversion is the 1131. Check on MT website (http://www.micro-trains.com), they have conversion charts for just about everything out there. You can also cut the coupler and the coupler pocket off the B'mann truck, re-use the truck and install body mount 1015 couplers. Body mounting your couplers will result in fewer derailments, especially when backing. And no, the MTL or Atlas trucks will not fit B,mann cars easily, you will have to ream out the holes for the mounting pin as the ones on B'mann cars are bigger.
Question 2, yes, you can use the B'mann dummy couplers to couple to MTL or Accumate (Atlas uses Accumates on their cars) but you will NOT be able to use the magnetic uncoupling feature and the cars may not couple as easily or reliably as MTL or Accumates normally do

HTH,
Franz T

GlennW

Quote from: nrnr on May 06, 2007, 06:43:42 PM
Glenn and Mike,
many thanks for the information! I am fairly new to this so it was very helpful indeed.

Need some clarifications with your replies though, which I hope you could answer.

1) If I have to replace the existing couplers with Atlas or MTL couplers, I would need to buy the coupler mounted Atlas or MTL trucks right  - as there is no other place to fit standalone couplers. Will these trucks fit into the Bachmann freight cars easily?

This is one route to swapping trucks/couplers. MTL sells 10packs of some styles cheaper than buying 10pr couplers.
To fit them on the Bachmann cars, you will have to modify the truck body olster some to fit over the Bachmann post. Take one Bachmann truck off & you will see what I mean.
A second option is to find a donor frame to replace the Bachmann unit. I've seen this done with Bachmann caboose: The Bachgmann body rides on MTL  frame (some sanding required)

2) I saw in the Bachmann site itself that they have "dummy knuckle coupler" truck assembly. Can I use these truck assemblies to couple them to the Atlas cars?

This may be an easier route to swap from above. You will have to test to see if the Bachmann couplers are as robust as MTL. This may be more important in an Ntrak stting should you run 50-100+ car trains.

Thanks in advance!

There's been so much ink on this subject, it may be the cause of global warning. Frankly, this is a topic most Nscalers learn to take care of. You follow whatever route works for you! Since Rapidos date bcack to the 1960's & the infancy of Nscale, there may be thousands of cars from all mfr's yet to be converted. Some early crude models may not be worth the bother to convert.

SWARTWOUT

Check out the Brooklyn Locomotive Works (BLW) for great freight car pictures showing type of coupler on each car & loco..

Think about taking a Rapido coupler car and changing one end to an MT truck coupler assembly.  Using this car as the head end car you can pull Rapido freight cars with a knuckle coupler loco or visa-versa.

brokemoto

If you want to retain the Bachmann trucks, use 1133s; 1134s if you want a longer shank for sharp curves. 

You will need to ream out the hole in the MT trucks to get them onto the B-personn cars; either that or re-do the undercarriage.

You can body-mount; use 1015, 1016 or 1023.  If you have sharp curves, you may have to restrict your body-mounts to forty foot cars, or smaller.

You can also use UniMates, sold by Red Caboose.  You willl have to use the ol' Five Fingered Brakeman to couple and uncouple, though.