News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Remote turnout switch

Started by orangeman, March 02, 2010, 06:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I have a slew of Bachmann R and L Remote turnout switches (e.g. 44562).

They come with an 18" green wire (actually 3 wires) that attach to the rr switch and then to the remote mechanism.

18" is not enough for what I want to do on my  layout. I want to run the switch wire ~3-4 feet from the actual rr switch to the remote mechanism, then to the electical source.

Does anyone sell a longer wire with appropriate connector? Or am I going to have to splice three wires to make it longer? What a pain for so many switches.

Cody J

They make green wires that are made for this purpose and I have some but I can't seem to find any on the Bachmann website.

Hope this Helps,
Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

ABC

Bachmann makes 10 foot extensions:

10' Green Switch Extension Wire
Product Information
1/card
Price: $10.00
Product Code: 44598

10' Red Terminal Extension Wire
Product Information
1/card
Price: $8.00
Product Code: 44498

orangeman

Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna go broke.

Going into this hobby nobody told me one had to be in the upper tax brackets<g>

ABC

Those prices are MSRPs ebay and online retailers are a lot cheaper.

Jim Banner

I believe Bachmann makes those extension wires to keep the plug-n-play generation happy.  But if you know how to solder or are willing to learn, you can splice whatever length of wire you need between the plugs on the supplied wires.  Four conductor phone cable will work up to about 10 feet and 5 conductor 18 gauge thermostat wire will work for up to about 100 feet.  The latter is available from Lowes for about $15 per 100 feet and a nice 25 watt Weller iron from the same source goes for about the same price.  The only other thing you will need is some shrink tubing, which is far superior to tape for insulating joints.

There are many soldering primers on the web including this one:

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/model-book/soldering/soldering.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mf5117

jim banner usually has the best simple logical answer when it comes to model railroading .
I wish I would have asked this a year ago . you can go either way .I bought the 10ft green extention cables . 12 of them due to being lazy . I cut them in half and soldered the female ends to spdt cf micro switches .only because I didn't like ganging the switches together that came with the turnouts . I made a nice control panel . with my layout on a placard, a micro switch  is placed where a turnout is on the layout . so there is no guessing and hitting the wrong switch and causing a Gomez " crash-derailment" .

my question is ,why do some vender's with the bachmann extention cables have smaller gauge wire .the ones that come with the worlds greatest hobby expantion with the 4 turnouts  have larger gauge wire than what you buy at the LHS or someone online . if anyone has noticed . and the plugs don't make up very well .same cable just different gauge wire slightly different plugs . they will make up but you have to be careful as you can ruin them .