News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scale

Started by palallin, March 03, 2010, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

palallin

I am fairly new to large scale and am trying to get a handle on how Bachmann products scale out.  Is it correct to assume that Big Hauler items are 1:24 or so and that Spectrum items are 1:20.3?  If not, does a list exist that provides the scale for all Bachmann LS products?  The product listings in the online catalog are incomplete in this regard.

Thanks for any help!

Loco Bill

Big Hauler items are 1:22.5, except for some 20 foot cars; I use a lot of 1:24 scale items like vehicles and buildings and it looks ok to me.  In most cases if the box or description doesn't say anything, it is 1:22.5.  On the 1:20.3 items the scale is always listed on the box and in the description, or somewhere on the pageon the page.   

Do your own thing and if it looks good to you then enjoy it!

Have fun 

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

palallin

Thanks for setting me straight on the Big hauler items, Loco Bill.

NarrowMinded

I just bought a used 2-4-2 Lyn it's an old Spectrum that seems closer to 1:22.5 so "spectrum" does not seem to be a 100% indicator of which "G" it is.

Also it's getting more common to see 1:20.3 referred to as Fn3

Loco Bill any comments on the Lyn's scale? Please...

NM

Loco Bill

NM.
In my response I did say "in most cases" not wanting to deal with exceptions.  The Lyn may well be one of them, but I have no definitive proof!

Scale?  It is a toss up! some swear it is 1:22.5, and other more familiar with that style engine swear it is a small 1:20.3, but I feel the cab is too small for 1:20.3.   I feel it is 1:22.5 but with a high cab, but pick what you want on that one.  I have never been able to get an official statement from Bachmann on this issue!   

When sold it was not marked as 1:20.3 or Spectrum, If your box has the words spectrum, or 1:20.3 on it please send me a photo for my Archives, I will pay any expense you may have getting me the photo if need be.   I would really be a help, and many like you have helped me in the past.

Some will argue it is not a true Spectrum.  Again your choice.   I feel it is a betweener in some ways, 1 part Big hauler, and 2 parts Spectrum,  but Bachmann did have an MSRP of $799 on it.  Some feel that in spite of many Spectrum featrues, it lacked detailed piping and other detail appropriate for a Spectrum.  It did have it's own seperate Bachmann Number with no tie to any other series number, so it is very uniqe!   I got mine (no box) on Ebay some years ago for $83.  Really need a box picture!!!!

All in all the Lyn is truely unique!!

The first "official" Spectrum was the two truck 36 Ton Shay in late 1996.  When I look at it now I feel it was sparse in detail based on what came later. 

The Lyn was certainly a breakout locomotive for Bachmann and as a minimum was the beginning of the Spectrum Line in G Scale.

So much fo my opinion,  picture proof of what it actuall is always welcome.

There has go to be more out there than I have on this one, but it does look right at home with my 1:22.5 items and small with my 1:20.3 items except for the 20foot BH 1:20.3 cars which I don't feel are wide enough to be 1>20.3.   But lets not get into that one.

The most important thing to me is proof, if I don't have it in writing from an official source or Photo proof, I do not include unproven info in my data base, even official photos or catalog photos have had errors in them.

Nuff said!

Have fun,

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

NarrowMinded

Thanks for the info bill.
I bought mine from ebay, I was not familiar with the Lyn or correct paint scheme  but liked the look of it, unfortunately "new in Box" arrived repainted and very used, I am kit bashing it right now to sort of make my self happy I bought it, but enough about that...

It does say spectrum on the box, I am not a box keeper so if you would like this box for your loco send me your address and I will be happy to send it to you. its not perfect though.

NM

NarrowMinded

Bill,  I pulled my Big hauler Porter out and my New 1.20.3 porter and sat the LYN with them I definitely see what you mean about the cab, it seems a little narrow, the rest of the Lyn does appear to be closer to the new spectrum. funny how my eyes play tricks on me when I look at the LYN by itself.

changing the tiny stack and headlight also help to scale it up a little in my eyes

NM

tac

Here are the dimensions of 'Lyn' as built for the L&B - go figure...

Length over headstocks - 23' 6"

Width - 7' 2"

Height - 8' 11"

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Jon D. Miller

Loco Bill,
Some additional information on the Bachmann Spectrum Lyn.

Same box as posted by NM. I purchased this Lyn April 15, 1994 from Charles Ro. I have another Lyn box with sleeve where I dated it 10-6-94.  There's a third box floating around here someplace, just can't find it right now.  I seem to remember that the Lyn came with documentation but haven't been able to find that either.

What NM fails to mention is that the Lyn is packed in a Big Hauler box inside the black Spectrum Sleeve.  There is no part number on the sleeve or the Big Hauler box.  This is the only locomotive I'm aware of that used a sleeve over a Big Hauler box.  Also no mention as to its scale.

This Bachmann address  appears on the center of the back of the sleeve.  There is also a SKU number on the lower left hand corner of the backside.  Both the Bachmann address and SKU are stick on labels.  They were not printed on the sleeve.

First reference I can find to this locomotive is in our club's newsletter dated March 1994. Along with the mention that a club member had received this new locomotive is a further statement the the Lyn is an uncataloged item.

Looking through Bachmann catalogs I can find no mention of this locomotive.  Possibly you have a catalog reference.

I'll be attending the ECLSTS.  You are more than welcome to one of the Lyn Spectrum boxes and sleeves.  Just let me know.  I can drop it off at the Bachmann booth.  No doubt we'll meet up there at some time.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

palallin

I'm very much enjoying the discussion because it sheds light on compatability.

To clarify my own position:  I am wanting to stick with 1:20.3 becasue I have neither the room nor the money to go into it in a big way.  Deciding on 1:20.3 in that case seems self-defeating, but here is my reasoning:  if I have room and funds only for a small roster, I have to limit my purchases, and I might as well make the most of the room and money I have.  I might be able to afford long trains of Big Hauler boxcars, but I have no room for them.  I can only afford a few of the bigger ones, so I am not tempted to outspend my storage.

A little convoluted, I know, but we'll see how it works.

I think I have a handle on most of the rolling stock and some the locos, now.  I look forward to seeing any additional wisdom folks can share.

Thanks again!

Loco Bill

Hey guys!!  Wow,  Thanks for the support!  It is help like this which makes the database more accurate each year.

I have been after a box picture for over 5 years, you guys made my day. 

That clarifies the "Spectrum" issue for sure.  Looking at the picture on the box with the (I believe) 1:22.5 figure in the door, kinda makes me think the cab is stilll not high enough for 1:20.3, so I'm still leaning to the idea that the Lyn is 1:22.5.   Just my opinion of course.

The Lyn was definitely not in the catalog, but I do have the Bachmann number 81304 which I got from Bachmann.  If any one can confirm it please let me know.

NM Thanks for your offer, I will send you my address.  Looks like your kitbash is well along. 

JD I would like to take you up on your offer to bring it to York with the sleeve and inner box.  Hopefully I will get to meet you there!

Maybe it was the inner BH box that has caused all the confusion over the years.   

Palallin,  Sound like a great start,  hopefully you will avoid the temptation to buy more than you need, but alas I have never had the discipline and have way more goodies than I really need.   You can count on the friendly folks here on the forum for answers to many questions.   As one of our members says "There are no dumb questions" and I agree. 

Thanks again for all the help.  It has been a while since I have got a new breakthrough!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

NarrowMinded

Yes indeed mine did come with the big hualer box, the spectrum sleeve has no sticker with the bachmann address under your sticker may be the printed bachmann Europe adress that mine has
NM

Wade Colyer

Hi Bill:

I had one in the box the other year you were here. We just needed more time. I also have the Americanized Coal Creek one. I have the "Bachmann News" newsletter for dealers dated Jan/Feb 1994 with a color ( or colour, since it's British, Ha Ha ) picture on the back page: Shipping Now List Price 299.95. Notice the British Bachmann logo on the sleeve.

The "new" 90078 Plainsman set is the old 90026 Golden Spike. The 90076 White Christmas Express has the #1225 Annie with the simple valve gear, wood tender and stack pictured but we'll wait and see what it really is.

Wade

zubi

Palallin, Why don't you just measure the loco? Terry provided you with some measurements. This loco was made when large scale was still 1:22.5 so it may have been made to this scale. But, being a model of a 1' 11 and 1/2" prototype, it would also be appropriately modelled in 16mm scale, just like the Accucraft LYN. Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

NarrowMinded

Hi zubi,
We sort of took a fork in the subject road to the Lyn, Palallin is trying to decide on a scale. I will measure the Lyn now that I have the correct dimensions I have a beautiful profile of the real engine that I will use to verify where it is cheated on scale if at all.

Palalin, I too have little room for Large scale. I started with a 1:22.5 4-6-0 and some passenger cars for around the Christmas tree, it was a little big for the 4' dia. circle, so I bought a used 0-4-0 porter, the one in the photo with the Red roof. I fell in love with this strong little smooth running Loco. I ended up finding 3 more on eBay cheap, some with log cars, some with ore cars. I got the bug then I bought the 1:20.3 0-4-0 the one at the top of the photo above. I bought some 1:20.3 gondola's and run a Big hauler caboose behind them all. the caboose looks fine with either scale.

based on what you have stated above you might want to take a look 1:20.3 Porters and rolling stock.  again I will mention again the 1:20.3 is also referred to as Fn3  F=scale n=narrow 3=3ft

NM