Locomotive (diesel) drags on type 100 track

Started by Baggeezer, May 06, 2007, 01:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baggeezer

I have made a layout using type 100 track, but my locomotive drags on the rails in the area between the trucks.  The tack that came with the loco is the type with the built-in roadbed and the train works fine on it.  Would larger diameter wheels solve my problem, and, if so, where can I get them?

ebtbob

Good Morning,

Look for an email I sent to you.....

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

lanny

No doubt Bob's eMail will help you. For the rest on the forum, we would need to know what locomotive you are having a problem with, and where, on your code 100 flex track it drags.

Case in point: I have an 'old style' Bachmann Spectrum F40PH (not 'DCC ready' or 'DCC Equipped').  The truck gear cover on both trucks hung up when passing over my Kadee magnetic uncouplers. I know they were at the correct height because I used the Kadee uncoupler jig to mount them in the track (I use code 100 Atlas flex track).

My solution was to spend a bit of time 'sanding' the surface of the gear covers. The problem is fixed now.

However, before you do something like that, let us know what kind of locomotive you have and who the mfg is.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

billvan

Hi:
I have a similar situation with an early version of a Bachmann GE 44
tonner. As a previous poster said the gear cover needs sanding.

Virginian

If it is dragging between the trucks, the size rail has little to do with anything - something is hanging down to far or something has allowed the trucks to seat too deeply.  Possibly something not fully seated properly or a design error needing sanding as alluded to above.
"What could have happened... did."

Is your track fastened down and relative flat (no humps/bumps)?

ebtbob

Good Afternoon  All,

Some good thoughts here.....but leads me to one question.   If,  as was suggested,   the gear cover was out of place or needed sanding,  then why is there no problems on EZ track but there is on code 100 track?

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

msowsun

EZ Track IS code 100. Like Viginian said, it is not the track rails that are causing any problems. The track can be code 70 or code 250! The wheels just ride on top of the rails and nothing else should be any higher than the rails. (except maybe a Kadee uncoupler ramp.)

Is the loco dragging on straight track? curves? over turnouts? uncoupler ramps? or where?

Maybe there is a prpoblem with the loco's wheel bearings and it is sitting too low? I have seen this with Atheran's where the bronze bearing is not sitting in the slot properly.

My MDC 0-6-0 has a large axle gear that will contact any uncoupler ramps that are not perfectly installed.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Now I am getting really curious,  so I will ask my question again.   Taking into consideration all your ideas,  why will the engine drag on the code 100 track and not the EZ track which is,  as was stated,  also code 100 track?

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress