Has Bachmann considered HOn3 RTR?

Started by WVM_guy, March 05, 2010, 11:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVM_guy

It's high time that one of the commercial manufacturers consider HOn3. Since On30 has taken off like a rocket, and there are numerous people in the wings who'd like nothing better than to try their hand at narrow gauge in HO scale (but are put off by exorbitant prices for HOn3 stuff and the constant hawking of Western NG by current niche manufacturers and the unavailability of some items), the time is RIPE for a commercial manufacturer with proven success in the narrow gauge market to give the hobby a line of good running HOn3 that we don't have to mortgage our houses to get and that runs worth a hoot.

Take the hint Bach Man...you're in this business to make money.

ryeguyisme

i think instead of HOn3, it would be more marketable to do HOn30 considering it'd be more consumer friendly and it runs on N scale track, if I had the mean, I would sell like K-27's in HOn30 scale and forneys as well as articulateds, and it'd be nice to have a brazilian 2-10-4 ;)

WVM_guy

Since HOn3 is the more established scale, with track already available, it is the most logical choice. Track would not have to be included. On30 was successful, and HOn3 OR HOn30 would be as well. Actually, cars that would be usable in either scale (as the On30 cars are in On3) would make it highly successful.

ryeguyisme

well looking at it from my perspective, its more practical to sell the narrow gauge as HOn30(even if the prototype goes for HOn3) since there a wide variety of N scale track, the reason HOn3 wouldn't work is because of the lw selection of track. I wouldn't want to buy shinohara HOn3 switches they''re rather pricey and my dad has a small collection of these switches and how much the track cost I've rather just convert N scale. For the price of two switches I could buy an MDC outside frame connie, maybe less for the Connie even. HOn30 could still be converted later, why do you think AHM made HOn30 stock rather than HOn3? Practicality.

Bucksco

I would suggest checking into Blackstone Models made by our friends at Soundtraxx.
http://www.blackstonemodels.com/products.php

WVM_guy

Jack, most people can't afford Blackstone. They're nowhere near as affordable as your On30 locos.

Secondly, everything they release is WESTERN narrow gauge. They have no Eastern NG whatsoever, a major problem with the market. Your On30 offerings gave the market a well-rounded selection.

ABC

I think rolling stock from Blackstone starts at about $30-35 a car. Also all you have to do is re-letter the cars and then you have eastern NG. Another option is to make your own rolling stock out of rolling stock from more common scales and just buying the appropriate trucks. If you don't have the ability to make your own and can't afford it otherwise, but like narrow gauge, you may want to convert to On30 or another more common scale. The problem is that HOn3 is a very specialized scale and not nearly as popular as scales like Ho, N, and O, and thus not as profitable (unless they have higher prices since they are selling less product). For example you can buy a Bachmann (standard not silver series) boxcar for $4 in Ho scale, but a HOn3 boxcar from Blackstone costs $40. Bachmann probably sells at least 1000 times more HO boxcars compared to Blackstone HOn3 boxcars. Unique/specialized and cheap/affordable do not go together.

Bucksco

>> "Unique/specialized and cheap/affordable do not go together."

You are correct sir!

ebtnut

HOn30, or HOn2 1/2 as some refer to it, has been around for a long time.  Like On30 before Bachmann, there is small following in this scale/gauge.  HOn3 has been around a lot longer, and has had a lot of equipment offered over the years for almost all of the "classic" narrow gauge roads, east and west.  I think what really got On30 up to the forefront was Bachmann's offering of models that were reasonably detailed, had a narrow gauge prototype, were very affordable, and could be built in virutally the same space as HOn3.  At one time, AHM was going to offer a line of HOn30 models based on Maine 2-foot prototypes.  They did an 0-4-0ST and a Plymouth, but never followed through with the others. 

Terry Toenges

"I think what really got On30 up to the forefront was Bachmann's offering of models that were reasonably detailed, had a narrow gauge prototype, were very affordable, and could be built in virutally the same space as HOn3."
And the fact that it runs on HO EZ Track.
Feel like a Mogul.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Terry Toenges on March 08, 2010, 01:31:49 AM
"I think what really got On30 up to the forefront was Bachmann's offering of models that were reasonably detailed, had a narrow gauge prototype, were very affordable, and could be built in virutally the same space as HOn3."
And the fact that it runs on HO EZ Track.

THATS why I said HOn30 hence 'N' scale EZ Track

mp15dc

N scale track is the right width but the ties are too small and too close together. While I think On30 has taken off Im sure HOn3 would take off even more. Most of the HO modelers have all the detail, structures vehicles etc all the have to do is change the track and trains. And I have spoken to many narrow gauge fan who would love to model narrow gauge but are either scared of steam locos or just don't like steam. That why a center cab diesel such as EBT or Georgetown or the 4-5 that Durango and Silverton have would be a good seller. As I said , a center cab and few hoppers and you've got yourself a railroad.
Ted

WTierce1

Hon30 would be a good idea for 30 INCH gauge trains NOT K-27's or things like that because it is 3 foot gauge. Same with On30, that is why Bachmann doesn't make them in On30 because it is based on 30 inch gauge.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

WTierce1

Sorry for the double-post but I actually put something about Hon3 E-Z track so if someone wanted to get Hon3 scale they wouldn't have to use flex track but most of my replies were negative about the subject.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

CNE Runner

This is an interesting thread, as I have considered HOn30 for micro layouts. Recently I looked at the new MinitrainS set and was 'put off' by the strange European couplers. Furthermore, a post on one of the narrow gauge forums, said that conversion to [even] N-gauge couplers was "difficult at best".

Trains that run on N-gauge track are really HOn2.5 (and not HOn30). Given the success of the new MinitrainS sets (they just released an updated version of their 0-4-0); there seems to be a market. Anyone modeling a small industrial or waterfront scene could use this scale (not to mention all the mining and lumbering fans).

A previous poster suggested Bachmann's involvement, in HOn3/2.5 because of the offerings and quality of their On30 line...I couldn't agree more. Perhaps a good starting point is to put N-scale running gear under the Bachmann Plymouth WDT (NOT MDT...please Bachmann!) and see what happens. I envision selling this critter in a set similar to the MinitrainS set...with decent N-scale couplers. Mr. Bachmann: Ask sales (or R/D) to check on the sales of MinitrainS products...this just might be worth the company's while to look into further.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"