Has Bachmann considered HOn3 RTR?

Started by WVM_guy, March 05, 2010, 11:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

I have a plymouth minitrains set and am planning on building a micro layout for it. I want the new set with the porter and mine and coal cars. The plymouth set is nice. That is my first Hon30 set so the couplers weren't a problem and the Roco Hon30 (Hoe) trains and Lilliput (Hon30, Hoe) locos have that type so it would be a good match for that.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

CNE Runner

I have a layout plan (by Jack Trollope) picked out of Carl Arendt's website. The purpose of the layout would be to operate trains while we are traveling in our motor home...hence the interest in the MinitrainS Plymouth set. I had previously mentioned that I was 'concerned' about the unusual couplers only because the MinitrainS couplers would limit the rolling stock to their products. Thanks to you, I will check out the Roco and Lilliput offerings to see what works. I envision a pickle packing production ['try saying that fast, five times] and the MinitrainS set would definitely fit the bill.

Like I said: I am in the planning stages now and don't see any real progress on the 'traveling layout' until late Spring or summer. BTW: Where do you purchase your Roco and Lilliput items?

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

glennk28

One  reason that On30 got a good start is that On3 lacked an easy to use track  system.  Not so with HOn3--there are good track components available.  Besides Blackstone, which has another loco (2-8-0) coming, Concor has Galloping geese, Micro Trains has cars,  and there are lots of kits and parts around.  gj

Doneldon

CNE-

HOn2.5 is HOn30. The "2.5" refers to 2.5 feet which is 30 inches which is what HOn30 means.

-- D

WTierce1

CNE: You can get Roco and Lilput from this site: http://www.reynaulds.com/index.aspx . You can scroll up and down the side and find the brands, just click on them and go to Narrow gauge or Hoe.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

CNE Runner

Well Don - Generally speaking HOn30 is used to approximate 3' gauge whilst HOn2.5 tries to approximate 2' gauge...neither are totally accurate.

Putting it another way:
  Standard gauge = 55.5" (4' 8.5") This is what the big boys use.
  HO scale = 3.5 mm = 1' [or a scale reduction of 87.1:1]
  HO gauge = 16.5 mm and is within 0.025" of being correct
  HOn30, HOn762, HOe, and HOn2.5 all utilize 9 mm gauged track (N-gauge)

Other obscure gauges in use within the hobby today are:
  HOm = 1 m on 12 mm gauged track in HO
  HOf = 600 mm gauge on 6.5 mm track (in HO)
I should add that the term "in HO" means that the car body is usually in HO scale while the trucks (and therefore track) is not.

Ain't math fun? And let me say it before the rest of you do; "Who cares? Let's run trains!"

Ray

PS: Thanks for the come back Wtierce...you were posting as I was writing this thesis. I will check out the website you suggested.  ;D

Doneldon

CNE-

You are confusing simulated prototypes with track gauge. HOn2 1/2 and HOn30
are the same, i.e., 30 inches between the railheads. HOn3 is different,
specifically 3' gauge.
                                                                                     -- D

BillD53A

It was originally HOn2 1/2; Kalmbach called it HOn2 1/2, Carstens called it HOn30

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: BillD53A on February 02, 2011, 05:40:05 AM
It was originally HOn2 1/2; Kalmbach called it HOn2 1/2, Carstens called it HOn30

To-may-to, to-mah-to. ...  ;)

Doneldon

JBar-

My point exactly.

-- D

pjsdad

Like it or not, the most sensable thing business-wise might be to make
a Thomas narrow gage set...Skarloey.. ;D

mp15dc

Well Bachmann here is the what your 45 tonner looks like with the walkway and cab narrowed 2 ft. narrow the wheel sets to hon3 and youve got yourself a winner....what ya think guys?????

Doneldon

mp-

Although I don't expect to see a factory version of your
HOn3 45-tonner, I do like yours. Maybe you can go
into production.
                                       -- D

CNE Runner

Wow...I really like the color combination on your GE 45 Tonner. It looks like you took the red 'flavor' of the Bachmann locomotive and painted the cab section a 'sea green' - really eye catching. Thanks for sharing.

Ray