News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-4-0 locomotive

Started by rwiseha, March 05, 2010, 11:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwiseha

Doesanyone know if Bachmann has made a 2-4-0 either in the US or world marjet?
Rex

C.S.R.R. Manager

There might be a 2-4-0 in Bachmann's UK or German lines, in HO or OO.  But nothing in the US that I know of, especially in On30.

Some of us have removed the back end of the Forney, and added a tender from Wiseman or Backwoods Miniatures to create our own 2-4-0.

Manager

rwiseha

I found it. Somone had one on Ebay for sale.  They had taken a 2-4-4 Forney and cut it off just behind the cab doors and made a tender that was seperate.  The roof had to be shortened.  Looked very nice.  I have a forney on a very tight track and I think I will do the same because it won't stay on the 15" radius.

JohnR

It would be nice if someone would do a rtr on30 2-4-0.

-John

Anubis

Hey rwiseha,

I have had similar troubles with my Forney on tight radii. 

Owing to the L-O-N-G amount of overhang behind the rearmost drive wheel, it means that there is a HUGE amount of sideways swing, and this is exacerbated on tighter radius curves.

As a result, it is almost impossible to keep any wagon or coach coupled, and I have found that my Forney (Kate) will only pull her consist when coupled up to run backwards. The front overhang is a little less than the rear.

This one fact has saved Kate the ignominity of being cut down into a 2-4-0.

Ain't On30 great?! :D
There is no such thing as a Part Time Obsession

El Loco

;D I scratched a slope back tender and shortend my forney into a 2-4-0.
I LOVE IT!!!

C.S.R.R. Manager

Here's what's left of my Forney.  The cab is from Mount Blue, the tender from Keith Wiseman.  I had to grind out most of the tender shell's resin to make room for the sound system, but it makes a really good enclosure for the speaker.

I've always thought that Bachmann could use ideas from us bashers, making a line of On30 locos that use lots of parts from their other locos.  My understanding is that the big cost in making trains is the cost of creating and setting up the molds and tooling, and also the design.  By re-using parts, Bachmann would save lots of money, and maybe release locos more often. 

Manager

Manager

rwiseha

Manager,
I just ordered the cab from Mount Blue.  Are you using the tender trucks for power?  If so what trucks did you use?  I would like to keep the tender but the trucks need to be changed.
Rex

C.S.R.R. Manager

I'm pretty sure I used the trucks from a Bachmann caboose, since they had the wipers already installed.  My cabooses aren't lit, yet, and it was one that I was lowering with new trucks and wheels, so I had them on hand.

Manager

El Loco

I also used the Bachmann Caboose trucks to add xtra power pick ups.
Surly a must...

rwiseha

Thanks for all the info.  This is the first time I have cut up a loco to make it something also.  With the cost of some of these locos I sure think twice before cutting into one.  But I need the shorter locos on my track.
Once again thanks.
Rex

NarrowMinded

Great Job, I could use a 2-4-0 like that.  You guys are right, when you look at what bachmann has to offer already they could simply come up with a new frame and bolt existing parts to it.  in this economy it seems like it would make sense also.

NM

Linzthom

Would the Bachman On30 Inside Frame 4-4-0 American tender fit behind a cut down Forney made into an 2-4-0?

Just thought.

All they would then need to do is make a new cab and cab floor. Now that wouldn't take too much tooling , would it?
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

C.S.R.R. Manager

Before you start cutting, there is an excellent article in the On30 Annual, 2008 edition I think, on how to bash a Forney into a 2-4-0.  The author cut down a Mogul tender, I think, and reuses the cab.

And yes, that first cut is the hardest one.

Manager

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: C.S.R.R. Manager on March 08, 2010, 10:01:30 AM
Here's what's left of my Forney.  The cab is from Mount Blue, the tender from Keith Wiseman.  I had to grind out most of the tender shell's resin to make room for the sound system, but it makes a really good enclosure for the speaker.

I've always thought that Bachmann could use ideas from us bashers, making a line of On30 locos that use lots of parts from their other locos.  My understanding is that the big cost in making trains is the cost of creating and setting up the molds and tooling, and also the design.  By re-using parts, Bachmann would save lots of money, and maybe release locos more often. 

Hmm. This could pave the way for an On30 Virginia & Truckee "J.W. Bowker."