The Monks' Island Brewery/Railway Project

Started by CNE Runner, March 05, 2010, 03:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I haven't put any 'progress' pictures of the Monks' Island Brewery (and now Railway) on the forum in quite some time. I think it is high time that I corrected that omission. You can view additional pictures of the project at
The original posting can be viewed at http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10410.0.html and will give you some idea of the concept behind the Monks' Island project. This is a mini-layout and measures 4'6"x 11" [140cm x 26.5cm] and can be placed just about anywhere. My original idea was to have a small layout, involving intense switching, that could be taken with us in our motor home.

Probably the most difficult part of the whole project was construction of reliable transfer tables (traversers)...there are 2 and I am still not 100% contented with them. Live and learn.
The layout provides hours of interest and is far from completion. The large Walthers mill is too large for the scene and will be replaced by a smaller craftsman structure. The brewery will be fabricated using the Walthers modular system. My small car barn/engine house will be scratchbuilt from stripwood to add another texture to the scene.

Motive power is one rough looking, but lovingly maintained, Plymouth WDT industrial switcher (a.k.a. a Bachmann MDT). One engine, complex trackwork (that is always just a little too short for the number of cars), and DC power (through a Varipulse handheld throttle) makes this an easy layout to live with. Don't tell me you don't have room for a working layout. Take a close look at the offerings on Carl Arendt's website.

Enjoy,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jettrainfan

Your doing an excellent job! cant wait till its done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

pdlethbridge

Nice work, Ray. I caught an idea from a fast tracks article on how to build a reliable stub switch that could be of useful to you. This is a site that LEXON  suggested. Check it out at this link page starting at page 123.
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/download/mrh_issue2
download or read online. It has a video of how to make a stub turnout that is beyond belief. This is a keeper.

uncbob

Looking good

It seems like you laid the track right to the foam without any elevation .
I am debating going that way

jonathan

Great progress, Ray!  Was wondering when you were going to show it to us...

Looks like it's great fun to play with... er... I mean "operate".  I especially like the 'long shot' in your album.

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Many thanks for the kind comments. Building this layout has alternated between euphoria and dispair (much, much more euphoria however).

Knowing better - but doing otherwise - I installed two Caboose Industries #119R (rigid) power routing ground throws on the Peco Electrofrog 3-way turnout. [Yep...this turnout requires two SPDT electrical switches - which are built into the Caboose power routing ground throws.] The rigid throws were a pain unless the lever was in a certain position. Today I replaced the #119R units with two #220S (sprung) throws. Now throwing the turnout, and having reliable electrical power, is assured.

If you decide to use Peco turnouts (which have a neat sprung arrangement of their own), I strongly suggest you use sprung ground throws (assuming you are going to manually throw the points).

Now I am anxiously waiting for my Walthers order so I can construct the brewery from their module line.

Ray

CNE Runner

I thought you might like a shot of #3 (Plymouth WDT) working a loaded hopper - bound for the Powerplant.

Enjoy,
Ray

BestSnowman

-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Michigan Railfan

I agree, looking pretty good, CNE. Do you plan on adding on to it? Like adding it onto a full layout?

CNE Runner

Thanks for the kudos BestSnowman...I sincerely appreciate it. Blink, are you a mind reader or something? I have been searching Carl Arendt's website for a layout that would segway with this one. Paul Bochiert's Mowhawk & Adirondack shows promise - or I may just design my own based on what I imagine Sweethaven Harbor to look like. Whatever design I finally choose, it will be in the 4' range for length (the wall that will eventually hold my 'creations' measures 12'). As my wife points out (repeatedly), Monks' Island is a ways from completion...and I have a limited amount of time to work/operate this project.

I will definitely add some pictures when I complete the brewery structure. My hope was that the mailman would bring the needed Walthers modules yesterday; but no joy...makes me feel like I was stood up for the high school sock hop (yes, I am that old).

Ray