News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Auto reverse problem

Started by mikec069, March 05, 2010, 05:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikec069

This could get confusing,  One of my auto reverse loops isn't reversing.  It (any of my locos) reach the gaped piece of track and stops.  After pushing the loco through the rest of the loop or past the gap, depending on whether your going cw or ccw, the loco continues on it's merry way.  The other reverse loop is just fine.  I tried to add a drawing of the layout but my drawing abilities are slightly below a new born's and my software doesn't work that well.
I'll try to describe.
Two ovals. Inside oval has the reverse loops.  upper reverse goes from oval tip to oval tip.  And that's the one that's having a fit.  The module LED is solid and the gaped track piece is open. When going cw the loco hits the track connected to the module, gets about 8 inches from the gap and stops.  When going ccw it gets past the gap itself then stops.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thank you all in advance.

MiikeC069

pdlethbridge

does the module have a sensitivity control like my digitrax unit? maybe it needs adjustment

mikec069

pdlethbridge

what is its name and who makes it and what is the model number?

mikec069

Bachmann It's all bachmann.  Running in HO

pdlethbridge

Jim Banner

Sounds like the reversing track is not getting any power.  This could be a faulty reverser unit or it could be a back bad connection.  If you have separate reversers for each reversing loop, try interchanging them to see if the reverser is the problem.  If you used one reverser to control both loops, use a grain of wheat bulb to test for power.  When you put one bulb lead on one rail and the other bulb lead on the other rails, the bulb should light.

When you talk about "the gapped track piece" I assume this is the reversing track with both rails gapped at both ends (4 gaps total.)  I also assume that when a locomotive stops 8" from the gap, you mean 8" after it crosses the gaps, not 8" before it reaches them.  If this is the case, it sounds to me like the first section of track is getting power from the reverser but then there is no connection to the rest of the sections of track that make up the reversing track.  Is there possibly a missing joiner at the spot?  Or one that is not making proper contact?  Testing with a grain of wheat bulb should show exactly where the problem lies.  When the bulb shows power to one section of track and not to the next section, and there are no gaps in between the sections, then something is not as it should be.

Jim

p.s. GAPPED versus GAPED.  To gap something is to make a small hole through it or a small space between two such items.  Once you have done so, the pieces or items are gapped.  On the other hand, to gape is to stare open mouthed.  (By implication, the mouth is wide open.  Holes are referred to as gaping when they are large, like a wide open mouth.)  If I stared open mouthed at someone yesterday, I gaped at them.  The verbs 'to gap' and 'to gape' are probably related but note that 'to gap' is transitive while 'to gape' is intransitive.

Please do not take this English lesson as any sort of criticism of any person except perhaps the author of the word list for the spell checker.  The spell checker will accept 'gaped' but not 'gapped' which undoubtedly led to the confusion above.

The same spell checker apparently allows you to have one reverser but not two reversers.  Thats jus tooo dang-blasted badd, aint itt bcause I'ma gonta useit anyhoo.  Reversers, reversers, reversers!  Take that, spell checker.

J. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

by the way, What is a back connection? Is it in the rear of the layout?

Jim Banner

"Oh the backbone's connected to the hip bone..."

Yeah, you might say it is connected at the rear.

I wanted to say that it was a 'bum connection.'

Then I realized that some readers might not be familiar with the use of 'bum' to mean 'poor quality or inferior' so I meant to change it to 'bad.'  I don't know how it came out 'back' but I appreciate your pointing it out.

Jim

pdlethbridge

mikec069

Problem FOUND.  Solving may take a while, which for me is part of the fun of the hobby.  The probelm was not with the gapped track or reverse module at all.  It had to do with the support of the over section of the over-under.  Apparently there wasn't enough and the weight of the loco broke the connection between the track pieces.  Fixing it will be interesting due the the angle of the over to the under.  I'm just happy it wasn't a part issue.  Operator stupidity is easier to deal with.  ;D

MikeC069

P.S. Jim;
I know the difference between 'gapped' and 'gaped'.  We might want to explain it to Mr. Bachmann's spell checker.  I made the mistake of believing it know better.  My bad.   ;)

mikec069

Okay, so I was wrong.  The real problem was a bad piece of track.  Using a metal screwdriver I laid it across the tracks.  The reverse modules buzzed and LEDs dimmed.  I did the same thing where the train STILL stopped.  No buzzing and no dimming.  Had to relace 3 pieces of track, now all is well.

Thank you all for the ideas.

MikeC069

Doneldon

I think they are both transitive.  Think of their sybnonyms: I separated, I stared.

Jim Banner

Interestingly enough, the synonyms you mention are transitive and intransitive respectively.  You can say, for example, "I separated the two intoxicated combatants."  This uses "separated" as a transitive verb.  But you would not say "I stared the good looking girls."  Instead, you would say "I stared at the good looking girls."  This is how an intransitive verb is used.

Hey. I could be wrong.  It has been over half a century since I studied transitive vs. intransitive verbs.  Perhaps one of the English experts would like to chime in.

Jim

OldTimer

Interestingly enough, the verb to stare can be either transitive OR intransitive.  In its transitive form it means to have an effect on by staring or to look at with a searching or earnest gaze.  In its intransitive form, it means to look fixedly, often with wide open eyes.  The difference is that the intransitive form has no object....ie: the idea of the 1000 yard stare or, "He stared into space."  I love it when everybody's right!  hehehe
Old Timer,
Retired Linguist (honest) 
Just workin' on the railroad.