News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tunnel

Started by full maxx, March 06, 2010, 08:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

yeah I kinda want to cut away part of the surface and make a bridge...maybe after the tunnel , thought about keeping part of the current tunnel top flat and digging out for a small lake and having a stream come from it to the cut out for the bridge , kinda like a waterfall...well we'll see
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Doneldon

Your styro tunnels will work just fine but you might want to consider using tunnels only on the turnback curves which make it so obvious that our little trains don't really go anywhere. 

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: full maxx on March 08, 2010, 04:12:15 PM
yeah I kinda want to cut away part of the surface and make a bridge...maybe after the tunnel , thought about keeping part of the current tunnel top flat and digging out for a small lake and having a stream come from it to the cut out for the bridge , kinda like a waterfall...well we'll see

I've done something similar to that, although I didn't cut into the styrofoam of the "prefab" tunnels I was using at the time. I used crumpled aluminum foil to create a small waterfall that tumbled down the side of the mountain and into a small lake, and then a stream that flowed out of the lake and under the railroad. To create a bridge effect, I replaced a section of EZ Track with a section of Atlas Snap-track, which I supported on a set of low piers from an old Atlas pier set. I masked the edge of the foil lake and stream with lichen.

I rather liked the effect of having the train come out of one tunnel, cross over the stream, and then plunge into a second tunnel.  :)

full maxx

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on March 09, 2010, 11:44:03 AM
Quote from: full maxx on March 08, 2010, 04:12:15 PM

I've done something similar to that, although I didn't cut into the styrofoam of the "prefab" tunnels I was using at the time. I used crumpled aluminum foil to create a small waterfall that tumbled down the side of the mountain and into a small lake, and then a stream that flowed out of the lake and under the railroad. To create a bride effect, I replaced a section of EZ Track with a section of Atlas Snap-track, which I supported on a set of low piers from an old Atlas pier set. I masked the edge of the foil lake and stream with lichen.

I rather liked the effect of having the train come out of one tunnel, cross over the stream, and then plunge into a second tunnel.  :)
you got any pics of that
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: full maxx on March 09, 2010, 04:33:03 PM
Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on March 09, 2010, 11:44:03 AM
I've done something similar to that, although I didn't cut into the styrofoam of the "prefab" tunnels I was using at the time. I used crumpled aluminum foil to create a small waterfall that tumbled down the side of the mountain and into a small lake, and then a stream that flowed out of the lake and under the railroad. To create a bridge effect, I replaced a section of EZ Track with a section of Atlas Snap-track, which I supported on a set of low piers from an old Atlas pier set. I masked the edge of the foil lake and stream with lichen.

you got any pics of that

I'm sorry, no, but I got the idea from the section on "portable scenery" in the little booklet on EZ Track. I don't have it here with me at work, but I think it was by Robert Schleicher. I don't mean the bigger book that discusses building permanent layouts with EZ Track, but the smaller, thinner one that must have come out soon after EZ Track was introduced; all the pictures in the book feature only the black roadbed track.

I'll try to remember to update this with more definite information at home tonight.

Edit to Add: I got the idea from Model Railroading Made "E-Z" with Bachmann's E-Z Track System, by Robert Schleicher, published by Bachmann in 1995.

full maxx

My artist is coming home to me with complete railroad support...thats right , my wife