Help with Headlight on 2-10-0 DCC with Tsunami Sound.

Started by Redtail1949, March 06, 2010, 07:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redtail1949

First off Hello everyone and I ask for your help...

I received an order for 5 locomotives via UPS yesterday afternoon. one of which is a 2-10-0 DCC with Sound. I placed it on the track and programmed it with my EZ Command Station. The locomotive moved and was assigned address 1. I then tried to run it for break in and it was jerky and sometimes would run smooth about one loop around my layout then it would start to jerk or stall altogether. Carefully looking at it i noticed one truck on the tender was very loose and it i put downward pressure on it the shorted light would go out and the locomotive would move. So I put some lead weights on the top of the tender and away she went. I then noticed the front headlight was not working. i stopped it put in reverse and the rear one came on and worked just fine. So I took the engine off the track and took a close look at the trucks on the tender. The screw was about out of the loose truck. I tried to tighten it and it had been just about stripped out. i was able to lightly snug it up. I put the engine back on the track and she has been running for several hours (Grandson will not stop it very long) with not a bobble except for the front headlight. Everything else works great.

I then started by turning off all lights in the room and then I could seen a light in the boiler behind the headlight lens. It was not in the lens or directly behind it however the bulb is on and working.
I had noticed that the Box they were delivered in was dented slightly on the corner yet nothing inside appeared to be damaged in anyway. Is it possible that the headlight bulb was moved out of postion by rough handling? If so is there an easy way to get to it and put it in postion right behind the lens?

Looking at the drawings supplied with the engine that i might be able to remove the plastic headlight assembly and maybe the front of the boiler to reach the headlight bulb. I am too unskilled to try to take the complete engine apart to fix it. So if someone can tell me a simple way to fix I will try it. If not I would be forced to send back to Bachmann for repair. I sure do not want to do that as my Grandson will have a heart attack. ( Not to mention that Grandpa would hate to do without it even for a week or two..LOL)

So I would greatly appreciate any advice offered.

Read on another thread Bachmann has discontinued this engine as well as a great many others hope that is not bad news about Bachmann as they have some pretty good stuff out there nowdays.

Thanks..

the Bach-man

Dear Red,
The decapod is very difficult to take apart- I'd contact service and let them repair it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Redtail1949

the Bach-man:

First let me Thank you for your response.

I was afraid of that but you are right, if i mess with it I will probably break something. I love the engine and it runs great as well as my Grandson who is going to be very disappointed to hear i am sending it back.

I will say that this DCC with sound certainly has opened up a whole new world to me. It is such an amazing advancement over regular DC that I grew up with. (just my opinion)

Thanks again

Redtail1949