Using E-Z Command for multiple coded engines in consist

Started by motrainguy, March 06, 2010, 10:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motrainguy

I am building my first layout after waiting 35 years to do so. I will be using E-Z Command. If I have 2 powered loco's with decoders in my train consist, how do I address them so they will pull (or push) the trainset together?
Can I turn on the headlight on the lead unit on and keep the second loco headlight off. Thanks....

ABC

With a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System the only way to consist the locos is to program them to the same address, but then you will not be able to turn off the lighting in the trailing loco without turning off the lighting in the lead loco. So, if you want to do that you will have to make your 2 locos have a different address and turn the rheostat (speed dial) to the same level as the other, and control each loco individually. Also you can program what direction the loco considers forwards.

Jim Banner

If you are running two diesels back to back, you can program them the same except reverse the Normal Direction of Travel of the second one.  Then a command to move forward will be interpreted by the second locomotive as an order to move backwards.  Since the second locomotive is moving backwards, its headlight will not be on.  If the locomotives are F-units or similar, they have only headlights, no rear lights.  So the second locomotive will display no lights when the train is moving forward and the lead locomotive will display no lights if the train is backing up.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Some locos like H15/16-44s have directional headlights on each side that light no matter which direction it is traveling (only 1 light is on at a time).

NarrowMinded

I have no DCC experiance at all so heres my qestion. can you remove the rear unit from the track then turn the light on the lead then place the rear back on the track? sort of a goofy way to do things but I am curious.

NM

Jim Banner

Quote from: NarrowMinded on March 06, 2010, 10:20:02 PM
can you remove the rear unit from the track then turn the light on the lead then place the rear back on the track?
NM
No.  Most (all?) DCC systems send out all the latest commands from time to time in case they were missed the first time.  This allows trains to operate on surprisingly dirty track (anyone who ever ran CTC16 appreciates this.)  The down side is that it prevents doing what you suggest.

There is an alternative.  If you use decoders that allow you to remap the rear light to f4 with the conditional that is operates the rear light only in reverse, then you can run the locomotives with lights at both ends normally by having f4 on.  But if you turn f4 off when they are in a consist, their rear lights will never come on.  Not all decoders allow this but many, including some low cost basic decoders, do allow it.  I believe this works in all three methods of consisting.  If you use Advanced (decoder based) consisting, you also have the alternative of not transferring the functions to the consist address which means that you can have certain locomotives, say #2, #3, and #4 in a 5 locomotive consist running dark and the rears of #1 and #5 running dark but the headlights alternating as you change the direction of the consist.  You can do similar things with ditch lights, strobes, and so forth.

Jim

NarrowMinded

Dcc seems like it has a lot to offer but I am a fan of simplicity/what I know.
Ive been working on motor controls forever, I remember when PLC's started showing up. it took me a while to learn to like them. I think the same is going to be true of dcc for me.

NM

jward

jim,

what you are suggesting with function remapping is far beyond the capabilities of easy command. the original question about mu-ing 2 locomotives together clearly shows the limitations of this system. mu-ing is something easily done on most other systems. i know you know that, jim, but i wanted to point that out for the benefit of the others.

it seems you trade off quite a bit of functionality for a much lower cost.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

OldTimer

The difference in cost is actually not all that much.  Looking at MSRPs, EZ Command costs about 35% less than my starter system which was named after a west wind.  The EZ Command is usually discounted a lot more, however, so the real dollar cost difference is somewhere around 90 bucks.  That's not an insignificant amount, but it's not more than two or three passenger cars will set you back, either.   The trouble the new guy faces is that he has no basis to evaluate the relative value (as opposed to cost) of different systems.  I suspect that consisting never crossed NarrowMinded's mind when he was buying his EZ Command.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Jim Banner

Jeffery,
You are of course correct.  I was actually answering NarrowMinded's question but I should have made that more clear.  Last night it seemed enough to quote his question.  This morning it does not.  Sorry for causing confusion.

I should also have added that the remapping of the decoders, if suitable decoders are used, can be done by a friend, fellow club member or hobby shop that has a suitable DCC system and is willing to help you out.  The actions, namely using f4 to enable/disable the rear light will then work with E-Z Command or any other DCC system that can control f0 and f4 (believe it or not, there are some systems still in use that cannot.)  Using Decoder Pro this little programming job is quick and easy - I think I could reprogram a couple of my next door neighbour's locomotives in less time than it would take him to walk the hundred feet from his house to mine.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that what we can do with out railroads depends on what resources we have available to us.  Those resources go far beyond the pieces of equipment we ourselves own - they include, among other things, the internet in general, this forum in particular, and friends and fellow model railroad affectionados who are willing to help.  Because we are all in the hobby together, that help is usually freely available.   

Jim

ABC

Just for reference an E-Z Command can be bought for a little as $35 or so and most other systems start at $150 or more. So realistically approx. a $105 difference, because it is hard to find them for less than $40.

Pacific Northern

ABC

Your pricing posting are not reflective of typical prices. Just because there is the odd "one of" sale that is not reflective of the market place.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Pacific Northern

ABC

Do you realize that many if not most people do not use e-bay? There is life outside of e-bay.
Pacific Northern

ABC

Pacific Northern That has nothing to do with the fact that it can be purchased for the cheapest prices on ebay. It would be like saying most people don't shop at Hobby Lobby, so all of their prices don't count.