News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-2 DCC/SOUND

Started by HOTrainFan, March 07, 2010, 09:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTrainFan

I'm thinking of buying the 2-10-2 W/ dcc/sound and i was wondering if i could get what you think of this loco, if it sounds ok and what not. ???

Nigel

If you want a USRA Light 2-10-2; it is great model - if you don't want one.....
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Pacific Northern

I  bought one of the Spectrum 2-10-2's with DCC/SOUND and have only broken in this engine recently.  I had not intended to buy it but the deal was too good to pass.

I am very glad that I did acquire the engine, I am very impressed with this engine. The sound is good and the running characteristics are good. It did get a rather good review in Model Railroader when it was first released.

Some of the postings on this site have  indicated that some of the Spectrum 2-10-2 have a tough time running on 22" curves, even though the review indicated the engine could handle 18" curves. I am happy to report that the engine I received handles 18" curves with no problems. It does not look good on the 18" but it ran well. Lots of lateral movement with the drivers.

I am surprised not to have heard more about this engine as I consider it to by an excellent buy as it runs great and sounds great.
Pacific Northern

uncbob

What do you have now and what kind of layout do you have
First steamers I would get would be a USRA 2-8-2 --USRA 4-8-2 and a 2-8-0
The 2-8-2 and 2-8-0 run great on 18s and the 4-8-2 on 22

93firebird

Sorry for a newb question. I just picked up a 2-10-2 spectrum recently.  It came with a small bag of black powder, Is this for smoke? I looked through all the paperwork and did not see anywhere where it says it does smoke. Also my unit does not do 18" curves well at all. I can do a mix of 18 and 22 and it will do ok but a successive 18 to 18 it derails.

ABC

No, the fine black powder in the bag it is for detailing the tender.
Quote from: 93firebird on April 03, 2010, 12:25:43 PM
Also my unit does not do 18" curves well at all.
The reasoning behind that is simple: Bachmann states that the minimum radius for the 2-10-2 is 22", although some people claim they run on 18", even if they do it looks terrible and it is asking for trouble.

Pacific Northern

The Spectrum 2-10-2 is now Bachmann's heaviest locomotive in the Spectrum line, other than the mallets,  now that the Spectrum Mountain's are not currently being offered in either the Light or Heavy versions.

As I mentioned before Model Railroader gave this engine a very good review. I am very pleased with the engine overall.
Pacific Northern

93firebird

I did not purchase the unit with sound. Which sound decoder should I use for it. I am using the Bachmann ez command dcc controller.

ABC

93firebird

Will I have to replace the whole decoder or is there a add on to the existing decoder?

ABC

You would be getting a brand new decoder, you would also need to buy a speaker and you's need a baffle.
Here's what you want  the Tsunami Heavy Steam 1 Amp Decoder- It contains whistles and sounds appropriate for articulated and heavy steam engines including those with the following wheel arrangements: 4-8-4, 2-10-2, 2-12-2, 2-8-8-2, 4-6-6-4 and others. It has an MSRP of $119.00, but can be purchased from dealers for around $100. It is part number 826103. Baffle kits cost about $3. Speakers are about $9.

Pacific Northern

I purchased another of the Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-2's, the engine is without sound, I was surprised to see that  the tender is predrilled for sound. The previous with out sound 2-10-2 That I purchased came with a tender not prepared for sound.

Is Bachmann now producing tenders predrilled for sound on all of its models?

This would make sense as there would then only be one tender frame being produced. I also note that the Bachmann 2-8-4 came with the tender predrilled for sound.

Note, when I ran the engine to break it in I noticed that it  runs on 18" radius track. I guess I was lucky again.
Pacific Northern

richg

It is a gamble on which will have the tender ready for a speaker.
Two years ago I purchased a Spectrum 4-4-0 with DCC on board. The tender was ready for a 28mm speaker.
About six months later I purchased the Spectrum small driver 4-6-0, DCC Ready and the tender was not ready for a speaker.
I bought a Spectrum USRA medium tender about a year ago that is DCC ready but was not ready for a speaker.
No telling what is out there now. I have seen questions in other mrr forums the past two years asking how to put speakers in Spectrum tenders as there were no holes drilled.
The purchases were not off of ebay but good online model railroad companies, Micro Mark and Model Train Stuff.

Rich