News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing Name Decals

Started by Colli, March 20, 2010, 01:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colli

Have just purchased an 0-6-0 with a name on it as the proto. I am modeling isnt put out by Bachmann. I want to remove the name decal on the tender and replace it.  Is there a safe way to do this without damage to the unit. ??? ???

ABC

Try using a pencil eraser first, and if that doesn't work try an ink eraser.

ta152h0

Another option is repainting the tender and then applying the wanted name. I mixed some flat black with about 20% gloss black and worked well. So well that I also painted my model of the SR71 with the same mix. In my humble opinion I recomend spray painting, not brush painting.

OldTimer

A Q-tip moistened with Solvaset or alcohol will sometimes work to soften the ink so you can wipe it off.  If you decide that the removal of the lettering isn't going so well and you want to paint the whole tender, you should strip it or the original lettering (it's stamped on, not a decal) may show through.  Scalecoat makes a stripper and I'm sure there are others.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Nigel

Hi Coli;

The lettering is pad printed using the same type of paint (just different color) as the model is painted with.

erasers and q-tip techniques are the most likely to succeed - if those fail, it is strip and repaint.  91% Isopropyl Alcohol will most likely remove the paint with some rubbing.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

on30gn15

At first glance thread title looked like "Revolving Name Decals"  ??? ;D

Sometimes that alcohol works for me, sometimes not.
As a last-ditch effort, a couple companies make plastic-safe paint strippers.
The guys who make Floquil and Polly Scale train paints have one named Easy Lift Off. I has directions on the most likely to succeed way to use it to get lettering off.
Walthers has that and ones by other companies.
QuoteFloquil Polly S Color Corp
270-542143    Paint & Decal Remover -- 8oz
Joe's Model Trains Co.
350-100     Joe's Detail & Decal Remover -- 2oz. Gel
Scalecoat Model RR Paint
640-10568    Paint Stripper/Remover for Plastics (16oz .47l Bottle)

I have used the Floquil and Scalecoat ones to take entire paint jobs off, haven't tried either one of them on lettering only.
What I do know is that on some models through the years, paint came off before lettering did  :o
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest