Can someone tell me what I might get as a replacement for a 2-10-4?

Started by DaveMFnC, March 18, 2010, 03:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveMFnC

I have an old Bachmann 2-10-4 that I've had since I was a child. It finally went out of quarter and I knew some axles split. Time to send it in for replacement. Someone on another forum said that they sent in the same engine and was asked if a 4-8-4 War Baby was an okay replacement. I already have one of those, and that post was late 2007, before the new 2-10-4's came out. I would like to see if the new standard 2-8-4 berk, or the new 2-10-4 texas would be suitable replacements....the 2-10-4 just makes sense. Does the Bach-man or anyone else have experience with this engine and these circumstances? I don't know if the Bach-man is in Philly enough to ever catch wind of what gets shipped out for replacements. Thanks for your time people.
Getting back into the hobby, one guitar sale at a time ;)

ABC

You will not get a 2-10-4 as a replacement because it is a $210 engine and your engine was not comparatively as nice as the new version is and the new version has DCC. I would expect that you would get no better than a 4-8-4 back, but it probably would not have DCC installed because your original loco did not have DCC. But, this is just speculation, I suggest you call up the service department and ask. Also, since the loco is no longer under warranty you have to pay a fee and for shipping both ways.

DaveMFnC

The new 4-8-4's/2-10-4's/2-8-4's are all DCC ready I believe and not DCC on board. So either way the 4-8-4 would be DCC ready. The Berk is around the same price, so I might try asking for that.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: DaveMFnC on March 18, 2010, 04:46:47 PM
The new 4-8-4's/2-10-4's/2-8-4's are all DCC ready I believe and not DCC on board. So either way the 4-8-4 would be DCC ready. The Berk is around the same price, so I might try asking for that.

All of these engines are "DCC on Board"
Pacific Northern

ABC

Quote from: DaveMFnC on March 18, 2010, 04:46:47 PMThe new 4-8-4's/2-10-4's/2-8-4's are all DCC ready I believe and not DCC on board. So either way the 4-8-4 would be DCC ready. The Berk is around the same price, so I might try asking for that.
Dave, all of these engines come with DCC already installed, and are of much higher quality than your Texas Chugger was when you bought it.
Dave, if I were you I wouldn't count on a 2-8-4 Berkshire because it is DCC equipped and is not DCC ready. I can give you an example: someone who had an old N scale DDA40X did not get a new DDA40X, but instead got a GP-40. In the agreement it does not say that they will replace it with the same locomotive, they will just replace it with a loco that they deem appropriate

DaveMFnC

I see your point now. Im assuming that the post I read a few days ago about the guy getting the War Baby in place of his Texas might have been appropriate. I have no idea if it was DCC on board or not but I guess It's all about calling or e-ailing and finding out what list they give me to choose from.

DaveMFnC

Good news! I emailed the service dept. and I said at the end of the email that I would pay extra for a 2-8-4 or a 2-10-4 and they said send the loco and 40 bucks and I would be able to specify which one I wanted.

ABC

DaveMFnC

I could care less about the decoder...I don't model in DCC. I'm only 25 and have no intention to switch,