News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 1:20.3 side tank porter

Started by soleman10, May 07, 2007, 11:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleman10

Hey all,
Does anyone yet have one of the new porters?  I heard rumors (you know how they are!) that this little gem was die-cast.  Any truth to it?  Does it already have sound?  I'm just trying to figure out why there is such a price difference between this porter and the saddle tank porter.  Any clues?
Thanks in advance,
Mike.

calenelson

I don't believe it is a die-cast model. :(

I don't believe it has sound installed from factory. :(

I do believe it is a close to scale Fn3 model.   :)

I understand it is larger than the Saddle-tanker. (longer-taller)   :)

I would venture to guess it cost more because it is Brand Spankin' New where as the Saddle-tank is a few years old now.  ;)

I have a Saddle tanker-in prep now for repaint/letter and RCS Battery....I like it, and think I'd like it's big sister too!  ;D

TOC posted this on MLS
http://mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46386

I would like 2 of them to bash together for a Double Fairlie like Might-Max on Thomas and Friends..... :)

Jon D. Miller

The "new" side tank Porter:

Is not die-cast.  Plastic, just like the "old" side tank and more recent saddle tank Porters.

It does not have sound.  There is a sound drum on the front drivers. Provision for a speaker.

Has same wheel base as the old 1:22.5 side tank version and the 1:20.3 saddle tank Porter.  Matter of fact, the bottom motor block cover will interchange between the three Porters.

Length is 13 inches, coupler face to coupler face.

Width is 4 1/16" and this measurement is the same at the rear end beam, cab, cylinders, and front pilot beam.

Weight is 4 lbs, 4 oz.  Compared to the Saddle tank that weights 3 lbs. 12 oz.

Height is 5 3/4" from railhead to top of whistle.  Saddle tank is 6" from top of railhead to top of whistle.

A very nice little shifter. I've had mine in operation since just after Christmas. It's a smooth runner.  The Porter has been converted to battery, but wired so that it will run either battery or track power.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)