News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Underground HO train

Started by skyslate, March 10, 2010, 02:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyslate

I am relatively new to model trains, using some HO inherited from Father In Law (Chessie retired). I am building a double tiered shelf system around the perimeter of an 18 x 14 room. On one wall which has an offset I would like to do a town scene complete with a bridge (already purchased) for the top rail. I would like the bottom rail to go subterranean like a subway and disappear (about 5 feet) and then reappear. I plan on running the two trains in opposite directions. How do I calculate the up and down trestle/bridge supports needed?  Is there any power issues on doing so? Is there any power issues on such a long fun of track.  I have a couple of large sized controllers.  I have about 12 inches of clearance to work in but want to use maybe 2 or 3 inches of that for a river (cross cut view) under the top bridge.

Jim Banner

For long tracks, you can reduce and virtually eliminate power loss by running a pair of heavy bus wires around the layout and have lighter weight feeder wires from the tracks to the bus wires every few feet.  For 64 foot long bus wires, I would recommend #12 wire.  This is heavier than you need for running one or two trains now but model railroads tend to grow on people so that if and when you start running many trains, you will be glad of the heavier wire.  The feeder wires can be as small as #22 if you keep them under 3 feet.

I like the idea of a subway, but have never quite managed to fit one in.  What comes to my mind is to have the tunnel right next to the edge of the layout so that the viewer can see into the tunnel.  Something like a two track tunnel split in half lengthwise.  To differentiate it from the above ground trackage, I was thinking it should be behind some tinted glass or plastic so that the subway trains are barely visible when lit just by normal room lighting but would be very visible when lights inside the tunnel are turned on.  An underground length of five feet should be enough to include an underground station on the other side of the track from the viewer.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jsmvmd

Jim,

Brilliant suggestion !

My boy Sidney pulled one out of his back pocket, wouldn't you say ?

You DO have the telly out your way, don't you ?  ::)

Best Wishes,

Jack

Jim Banner

Thanks, Jack, for the kind words.  Yes, we do have the telly and once in a rare while I watch it.  But I must have missed something about Sidney's back pocket.  Either that or I am unusually dense today.

Jim

jsmvmd

Dear Jim,

Canada vs. USA hockey, gold medal game.  Being a Pittsburgh boy, I was not too sad that Sidney Crosby had the winning goal.

As for me, I dropped the TV cable years ago, so only have internet access from work !  But guess what !  I own the work, so I get this litttle bennie !

Best Wishes,

Jack

P.S.  Since this is to Jim, I will hijack this part.  I had lots of spare styrofoam boxes and pieces that I cobbled together with Liquid Nails for Projects to make portable tunnels for the layout under the X-mas tree.  I used bits of broken foam and egg cartons glued to the outside and covered with plaster of paris soaked paper towels, then applied extra plaster.  Worked great and only cost a few bucks !  Being portable, I will store the tunnels for next year.  The kids will have a blast finishing with spray paint and texture.  A local craft store has lots of differently colored sand, very cheap that will be used for ground cover.  Too, I mixed the styrofoam tiny pieces with plaster to give more texture.  Great fun and very messy !  For all the boys in us !

Jim Banner

The light dawns!  Thanks, Jack, for sending him to us.

My newest layout, the Rock Ridge Railway, is the R.R.R.  But the R.R.R. could just as well stand for Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.  I find it hard to part with anything that looks like it might possibly sometime have some use in model railroading.

Jim