News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

multi-spur switch

Started by rookie, March 10, 2010, 10:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie

I would like to have a switch to allow me to have a rail yard off of one switch. is this possible? thanks david

az2rail

Three-way switches are available in most scales.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

CNE Runner

Rookie - As Bruce suggested, a 3-way turnout is probably what you are looking for (I use them fairly extensively on mini/micro layouts). After years of trying numerous brands of track, I find Peco to be of the highest quality and reliability. In that regard, I did some checking at Bill's Trains & Tracks and came up with two offerings: Peco SL-E99 in Code 100 or SL-E199 in Code 75. Strangely Bill doesn't list a comparable product in Code 83 (I suggest checking the Peco website for availability).

The 'E' in the product code denotes an Electrofrog product. Electrofrog turnouts have 'live' frogs which is beneficial for those of us running short wheelbased locomotives. I should warn you that Electrofrog products can require a little more equipment/effort than Insufrog (or insulated/dead frog turnouts). On the Monks' Island Brewery/Railway layout I use a Peco SL-E199 3-way Electrofrog turnout. The frogs' polarities (there are 3 frogs in this type of turnout) are directed via Caboose Industries power routing ground throws...which are fairly easy to wire.

Ray

PS: I should mention that there are also Single and Double Slip turnouts that also are 'multi-spur'' of sorts.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"