News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

10 amps?

Started by Larry48, March 11, 2010, 10:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry48

I am increasing my N scale layout to where my NCE 5 amp DCC layout is about at it's max usage. Can i increase to an NCE 10 amp DCC without any problems?  thanx Larry

OldTimer

Larry, I think I'd divide your layout into two power districts, keep the 5 amp system you've got, and add a second 5 amp booster. 
Just workin' on the railroad.

Nathan

I second that, 10 amps will weld the N scale trains to the rail.  Use multiple 5 amp boosters.

Joe Satnik

Wow, Larry,

10 Amps in N scale??  How many engines are you running at once?

More than likely you have some intermittent rail joiners not allowing current to pass from one rail to the next.  Tighten up the joiners if need be and make sure they are correctly attached to one another.   

The best solution is to have more drops from a power bus to your rails scattered around your layout. 

Better yet, add power districts with separate overload protection.  That way if one engine derails and shorts across the track in one district, the rest of your layout will still operate.

Another way to reduce your power need is to have "parking" tracks for your locos (e.g. sidings or roundhouse stalls)  that you can shut off with  SPST switches. 

An Atlas #205 "Connector" has 3 SPST switches , which will control 3 tracks.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: spelling
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.