News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Oversized HO Trolleys??

Started by guinnesspeanut, March 10, 2010, 02:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guinnesspeanut

Does anyone out there know of any trolleys that are obviously too large for HO even though they are sold as such? I've found ooodles of accessories that should never have been sold as HO, as I'm sure most of you who have collected since the 1970's. I'm not trying to bash or make fun at anything here, I'm actually building a sectional S scale Christmas layout, approximately 5 foot by 12 foot with a 2 1/2 foot by 7 foot yard on the side. Anyway, looking at the 1 1/8 inch doorways on the passenger cars and diesel engines, they are exactly 6 foot tall in S scale. I'm disabled and can't just get up and go to a historical society to measure the entrances to older passenger cars or run up to an older diesel moving thru a yard to measure a door, but it seems to me that no one ever ducks in any movie I've ever seen to go from car to car, so using figures that are 1 1/8 inches tall seems way out of proportion. I've opted to use mostly 1/72 scale nonmilitary figures(mostly Prieser) on the layout, but now with that decision, I need accessories that fit with them. Alot I've made myself, but it never hurts to get other opinions. I'd love a few kits that are bash-worthy, or a brand of oversized telephone poles, or even street signs. I could make everything from scratch if I wanted to spend 5 years on this, but I'd like it up this coming season. Anything anyone knows about that's too big to be sold as HO that is is worth looking into for me. Thanks in advance for any help.....

Jim Banner

For human figures, take a look on eBay.  One hundred figures for about $19 including shipping is 19 cents each, a real deal.  For example see:
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-x-Figures-Crowds-2-Style-NEW-1-72-1-76_W0QQitemZ110504543030QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSlot_Cars?hash=item19ba958336

Have you seen the 0n30 trolleys?  The 0n30 freight cars I have are virtually identical in size to the American Flyer cars in my collection, with the exception of the trucks.  I don't have an S-scale trolley to compare the 0n30 trolley to, but my eye sees it as either an H0-scale trolley on steroids or an 0-scale one that got washed in hot water and shrank.  In other words, to me it looks a lot like S-scale too.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.