News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

484 daylight wiring

Started by Keusink, March 11, 2010, 04:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

I'm a newbie. Our DCC wiring in the basic DCC Daylight plug pulled out of the socket. The two outside (4 wires total) pulled out. I don't know which is which. How can I fix it? Rather learn myself than send it in.

OldTimer

The pins for the 8-pin medium socket are numbered as follows:

8 7 6 5
1 2 3 4

The color code for the wires going from the socket/plug to the decoder is:

8: red        7: blue     6: white   5: gray
1: orange  2: yellow  3: green  4: black

The location for the number 1 pin should be marked on the socket.  Good luck.
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Keusink

Thanks. I thought there are only four wires on the Daylight DCC equipped, but I'll look again. The wires that pulled out came out of the plug from the tender that plugs into the loco. The surrounding plug is plastic. How do I affix the wire back into the socket that held it? Or do I have to dismantle the loco, bypass the plug, and solder the wires directly into the loco?

This is the cheaper beginner version of Daylight, not a Spectrum, if that makes a difference.

I don't know how to solder the wires back into their plug receptacles without melting the surrounding plastic.

OldTimer

Sorry, I was not thinking about the plug between the tender and the loco.  Since I don't own one like yours, I'm going to pass.
Just workin' on the railroad.

lescar

Keusink:

I don't have a 4-8-4 so I don't have the correct pin out, but from the pictures I've seen they look similar to mini Molex plugs which the pins are held in with small tabs on the sides of the pins,  If the wire didn't break off the pin then it should be fairly simple fix by gently spreading the small tabs back out and pushing the pin back into the correct hole.  If the wire did break off the pin then it's going to require a bit more to repair, but still fixable.

I don't know how electorally inclined you are, and I'm mainly going from pass experience with the equipment I work with.  I hope this helps and if I'm incorrect in my thinking, I'm sure someone will chime in and set me straight.   :-\

Les
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated