News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#4,#5 Turnouts

Started by DJ Quimby, March 11, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Quimby

Hi again,
What is the difference between #4, #5, and regular right/left turnouts.
I have come across a layout but cannot determine which ones they could be. Is there a big difference in them?
Also, how do you include a photo or image into the question on this message board?

Thanx all !

CNE Runner

Hi DJ - The numbers of a turnout refer to the ratio of the length of the stock rails to the diverging rails (this is over simplified). I suggest you 'Google' turnout numbers as there is a plethora of websites that do a good job explaining turnout numbers...with pictures. A quick answer to your first question would be that there is not a lot of difference between a #4 and a #5 turnout.

Regarding posting images on the forum:

1) you must have saved the image to one of the many photo sharing websites (I use Photobucket.com),
2) you then select the image you wish to post and save its direct link by highlighting same and copying (control S),
3) go back to your post and place the cursor where you want the image to appear,
4) select the 'Insert Image' icon from the list of icons above your message (lower row, second from the left),
5) place the cursor between the two command prompts ([img] and [img]),
6) paste the image by pressing control V.

That's it. When you select "Preview" you will see your post as it will appear on the forum...including the selected image. If you don't like what you see...delete it and start again.

Posting more than one image to the same post: Post the original message (including the image) on the forum. Reopen the post again. Select "Modify" and follow the same procedure above. This time when you select "Preview" you will see your message with both images. Don't forget to use the "Spell Checker" to catch all those typos that seem to creep in - oh, and always preview your message before posting...you would be amazed at the mistakes you may find.

I hope this helps,
Ray

PS: I modified the post to put the directions in list format...don't know why I didn't do this in the first place.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ebtnut

The higher the number, the shallower the angle.  A number 4 turnout is quite sharp; it's OK for smaller equipment - small steam; 4-axle diesels; rolling stock up to about 50 scale feet or so.  Most modelers who are building larger layouts will normally use No. 6 turnouts, which will handle almost any size equipment.