News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opinions please

Started by lanny, May 08, 2007, 08:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

I would appreciate receiving any opinions of the HO IHC 2-8-2 'Premiere' Mikado in terms of how it runs and tracks, etc. I know, from what Ray B. (Orsonroy) has shared with me, it is not even close to an ICRR Mike in details ... but, I'm'pondering' getting one (if it runs as well as the IHC 2-10-2) and seeing how 'close' it can be 'bashed' to resemble an ICRR Mike (1100-1600 series).

I realize that it is not 'DCC ready', but since I currently use DC/Analog power, that's not an issue for me. I'm more interested in how it tracks, pulls, etc. The IHC premiere line seems to me to mechanically be pretty good, based on the locomotives I do have.

Opinions?

Thanks!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

ebtbob

Lanny,

First of all,  unless things have changed,  you will need code 100 track for your IHC 2-8-2.   It was suggested,  here,  about a week ago,  that maybe IHC was starting to reduce flange sizes on their other engines since their 2-10-2 is their only engine with RP25 flanges.
        Several years ago I owned one of the Premier Line 2-8-2s from IHC.  Yes,  the detailing is quite sparten but the engine ran just as well as any of my Bachmann Spectrum engines.   As a matter of fact,  all the IHC engines I had at one time or another ran just as well as the Spectrum line.   They also pulled as well if not better in some cases.
         On most of the IHC steamers I had,  I painted handrails black,  replaced bells,  whistles,  and pop valves and installed LaBelle crews.  In the case of the 2-8-2 I also installed an Elesco Feedwater Heater and some extra piping.
        I never added any extra weight to my IHC engines,  so as I remember,
the mike pulled around 20 cars on the flat areas of my railroad and did about 15 cars up a 1% grade.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

msowsun

I have an older IHC 2-8-2 that I modified a bit. I agree with Bob. They are good value and easy to work on.

lanny

Thanks Bob and msowson,

I use Atlas NS code 100 flex track and customline turnouts, so that won't be a problem. I'll probably strip the whole thing down to the basic shell, and it will need new handrails, piping etc. ... so I will be 'following' the kind of 'bashing you did', Bob.

msowson, the CP locomotive is beautiful! Very nice work ... I'm specially impressed with the cab its Mikes, as your model shows?

lanny nicolet

Orsonroy

Hi Lanny,

I used to have one of the IHC Mikes...USED to. The engine ran OK, but the detailing was crude. When I picked up my forst one, the only USRA light Mike options were IHC, Cary on a Mantua frame, and brass.

I soon found that the Athearn 2-8-2 was a MUCH better engine. Even with the renown issues with it's lack of pulling ability (the first runs didn't have the cracked gear problem), the engine is a LOT better than the IHC. These days, I'm dumping what's left of my Athearn fleet for the BLI versions (heavy and light Mikes).

So if you're looking to convert a USRA Mike into something close to an IC Mike, I'd suggest you start with a USRA HEAVY by BLI. The boiler's almost as fat as an IC engine, and they can be found on Ebay on the cheap. Move the sound and electronics into a Bachmann USRA "long" tender, and you're well on your way.

Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

lanny

Hi Ray,

Thanks ... I do have one BLI unlettered heavy Mike which is slated for the 'kit bashers' torch ... but I will eventually have more than one 'ICRR Mike' in my roster, so was doing some 'opinion' checking.

Thanks ...  BTW ... I'm planning to begin working on the 'Paducah' sand dome pattern tonight. Will keep in touch with you about that 'off-froum line'.

lanny nicolet

r.cprmier

Lanny;
Why are you "torching" that BLI?  I have only had one problem with BLI engines, and it was with a Hudson class 4-6-4.  It all of a sudden stopped dead, sound still chugging away.  I haven't taken it apart yet, and in light of the business machinations of BLI, I think naught about sending it back for repairs.  I'd rather not get caught in the middle of a product war.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

lanny

Hi Rich,

Great question ... specially in view of my confusing reply to Ray. I'm not 'torching' it in the sense of its not working and I am going to mess around with it's motor or gears, etc. It runs beautifully and with the traction tires added is a great puller, though its sound is limited to whistle, bell, hiss, and brake/flange squeal, because currently I run only DC/Analog power.

What I meant when I used the term 'kit-bashers torch' is that a lot of the boiler detail will be need to be removed (X-acto knife with a chisel blade is my kit basher's torch :))  and styrene, brass, commercial and 'scratch' made ICRR parts are used to replace what is cut off. For instance, the airpumps, typically, are most often found mounted on the pilot of ICRR steam, while on USRA steam, I think, typically they are mounted on the side of the boiler. So, the airpumps and related piping on the BLI Heavy Mike have to be removed and replaced with pumps on the pilot. Lots of stuff like that needs to be replaced or redone.

The whistle sound of the BLI 2-8-2 heavy sounds so much like what I remember hearing as a kid when my dad worked for the IC ... it really gives me a 'nostalgic' feeling to hear that whistle ... but, unfortunately, the BLI from the 'factory' doesn't 'look' anything like an ICRR  Mike.

lanny nicolet

r.cprmier

HI Lanny;
Got it!  As said, I havehad only two problems of any consequence with either Bachmann, or BLI equipment.  I don't even have a problem with my Athearn engines. 
To me, minor tinkering and tweaking are so commonplace upon receipt of a new engine, that I just do it, and think nothing of it.  The one engine that is anywhere significant is a Bachmann 2-8-0, and i think I am going to circumvent the problem by simply getting a NWSL gearing kit.
The layout is for now, taking a back seat to other activities, such as mulch spreading, digging, weeding, raking-all things fun and exciting...
Rich

lanny

Hi Rich,

Well, you can add "exterior painting, lanscaping and interior painting" to that list of 'current activities you (and a lot of us) are presently engaged in doing instead of busying ourselves with important stuff like model rring!  :D

When you have time, Rich, I would be interested in what it is about the Spectrum 2-8-0 that  is causing you to consider a 'gearing kit' from NWSL.

I understand ituses some sort of 'belt drive', but mine runs very smoothly. I once asked Mr. Bach-man about the 'life' of the belt and if I remember correctly, he said it is made of a material that is 'permanent', meaning to me, it won't break, crack, etc. or give problems from normal usage.

(please correct me if I'm misquoting or have misunderstood you, Mr. Bach-man)

lanny nicolet

CJCrescent

Quote from: r.cprmier on May 09, 2007, 07:15:02 AM

... The one engine that is anywhere significant is a Bachmann 2-8-0, and i think I am going to circumvent the problem by simply getting a NWSL gearing kit.
The layout is for now, taking a back seat to other activities, such as mulch spreading, digging, weeding, raking-all things fun and exciting...

I would like to ask, are you going to just install new gears in their original location, or are you going to install a new gear box. There would be a big difference in "machining" requirements.  What problems have you had that would cause you to do this?

BTW after you finish your yard, you can come do mine! ;D
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

r.cprmier

Lanny;
There was an apparent defect in the mounting for everything, resulting in excessive play; and I did not catch it until it was well out of warranty, so it is going to be my problem to deal with.
I have a couple others and they run very well; in fact, pretty much all of my engines do run well, which does bespeak well of the manufacturers.
Basically, I am just contemplating using the NWSL arrangements, but it will be a while before I do anything. 
Ten yards of mulch is gradually being chiseled down and the rototiller is working once again.  Ah yes...Spring...I can't kick, because my back lawn is looking better than it ever has!  It will be nice to eventually see that stainless steel track wending its way round the yard..especially around all that mulch...Groundhogs beware!   
Rich

lanny

Aha!! Now we know the reason for the burst of energy that you have displayed in your yard this spring! You're not only planting seeds, your 'planting' roadbed :D

Now, all your work and effort makes complete sense to me  ;D

let us know, when you get around to it, what you fially do with the 2-8-0 to fix it.

lanny nicolet