News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cab forward question

Started by Cooped, March 12, 2010, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimer

You guys can ponder the vagaries of SP's cabs forward (there were several classes) all you want, but I'm going to be true to my favorite directionally challenged locomotive, the Beyer-Garrett!   ;)
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

richg

Here is an article on what prompted the SP to develop the cab forward.

http://www.rosetown.ch/Steam/Pages/cabforward.htm

An engineer had his loco "turned" before heading out with the freight dragged. He ran the loco tender first to keep from be asphyxiated with smoke and heat in the snow sheds and tunnels.
I do not know if this was done more than once.

Rich

pipefitter

Quote from: OldTimer on March 13, 2010, 06:23:49 PM
You guys can ponder the vagaries of SP's cabs forward (there were several classes) all you want, but I'm going to be true to my favorite directionally challenged locomotive, the Beyer-Garrett!   ;)
Old Timer

Yea, those are some strange looking beasts. An associate pointed out that the water tanks over the drivers provide great traction. I've got several South African videos from Russ Scholl Productions featuring these locos.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Cooped

This is what I love about this forum. One small question, the answer to which may be obvious to those in the know, precipitates a vibrant discussion revealing some wonderful gems of information because everyone here just loves to talk about trains.

Hopefully as time goes by I will absorb enough information to become more of an information giver than the question poser and pass it forward so to speak, but in the meantime thanks to everyone here for making this forum what it is.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

richg

Below is my Whimsy project based on a Mantua 0-6-0T with a DZ125 decoder in the loco and a SoundTraxx DSD-090LC decoder, plus 14mm x 25 mm speaker in the tender. The tender is from an older Bachmann 0-6-0 oil fired loco. The loco is now a 2-6-0. I have to add cab ladder as the crew complains about having to get in and out of the loco.
This is also based on a 0-4-0T that was changed into a 4-4-0 cab forward by a model company.

I installed real glass in the cab using glass from Clover house. The glass is the thinnest I have ever seen. I used Testors Clear Parts Cement to attach the glass.

Rich

pdlethbridge

Rich, did you get the cab for that engine from yardbird?

richg

Quote from: pdlethbridge on March 14, 2010, 03:31:29 PM
Rich, did you get the cab for that engine from yardbird?

Yes I did. A lot of the ideas came from Dan at Yardbird. I was going to use an old Mantua slope back tender with Dan's oil conversion casting but the tender is a little wide. The cross compund air pump is from PSC. I added a little pipe. There should be some cooling pipes for the air from the air pump.

Parst as received.

Front in place.

I replaced the coupler with a Kadee old time 711 coupler, PSC pilot and PSC dual air hoses which do not show very well.

I saw the below pictures some years ago but never was able to build it.

Rich

Michigan Railfan

Rich, is that a prototypical locomotive, or did you just think of it? Just wondering, because I have never seen a 2-6-0 like that.

richg

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on March 14, 2010, 06:33:20 PM
Rich, is that a prototypical locomotive, or did you just think of it? Just wondering, because I have never seen a 2-6-0 like that.

Take time to read though the complete thread. I said this was a Whimsy project based on the #21 oil fired cab forward 4-4-0 at around the 1900s.

Rich

Jim Banner

Very nicely done. 

Looking at how exposed the crew are in your photograph makes me realized why so many railroads ran the early diesels long hood forward, even though that put the crew in stinking diesel fumes all day long.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: richg on March 14, 2010, 01:00:54 PM
Below is my Whimsy project based on a Mantua 0-6-0T with a DZ125 decoder in the loco and a SoundTraxx DSD-090LC decoder, plus 14mm x 25 mm speaker in the tender. The tender is from an older Bachmann 0-6-0 oil fired loco. The loco is now a 2-6-0. I have to add cab ladder as the crew complains about having to get in and out of the loco.

I wonder whether that two-wheeled truck could be used on the other end so as to create a "conventional" 2-6-0T?  ???

ebtnut

That cab casting was originally done by Kemtron back in the late 50's/early 60's to fit the back of a Varney Docksider.  That's what's shown in Rich's diagrams.  It was purely a freelance idea.  Other than that NPC narrow gauge cab-forward 4-4-0, the SP's cab-aheads were the only siginficant locos designed that way.  Just by way of history, the first two-foot locos on the Billerica and Bedford, which were Forneys, were originally built to run tank-forward, which technically made them 4-4-0T's.  When they went to the Sandy River in Maine, they were converted to run boiler-forward as
0-4-4T's.

richg

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on March 16, 2010, 11:01:10 AM
Quote from: richg on March 14, 2010, 01:00:54 PM

I wonder whether that two-wheeled truck could be used on the other end so as to create a "conventional" 2-6-0T?  ???

You would probably have to extend the front of the loco a little as it has a switcher front end.

Rich

RAM

I would  remove the headlight and mount it on the tender. 

richg

Quote from: RAM on March 17, 2010, 06:39:54 PM
I would  remove the headlight and mount it on the tender. 

I already have a light on the tender.

Rich