News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New N scale coupler pics

Started by Bucksco, March 14, 2010, 11:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksco

As many of you know Bachmann is producing a new magnetic N scale coupler. At this point in time we are including it on Spectrum locomotives starting with the new H4 articulated. It will be available as a separate sale item sometime later this year. As requested here are a few pictures of the new coupler:

poliss

Thanks for the photos. Will they fit in standard Rapido mountings?

blaustem

This coupler looks more like the MicroTrains version. Oddly, some Amfleet cars I recently ordered came with a "large" knuckle-type coupler, without the magnetic pins. This must be some interim thing they're doing.

ABC

The couplers on your Amfleet cars are what was the previous standard dummy knuckle couplers that have been on them for at least the past 10 years. The ones pictured have just been introduced, and will begin appearing in newer production spectrum locos.

skipgear

ABC - The dummy knuckles have been around just barely a year. Previous Amfleets came with Rapido's. Putting knuckles on the Amfleets may actually make them sellable. Right now, they sit on the shelf because the only loco's to pull them come with knuckle couplers and the unique coupler arrangement on the cars themselves are a pain in the behind to convert.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

dtpowell

Nice looking coupler. IMO, better looking than what's currently availbile in "N" It looks a great deal like an HO coupler with that side spring.

Williamson

Looking forward to trying these - will they be available separately?

ABC

Yes, they will be available for separate purchase sometime later on this year.

Hunt Tower

Hey ABC,
Are you going to make a retro coupler for the front of the 2-6-6-2s ::)
Hunt Tower

ABC

Quote from: Hunt Tower on March 26, 2010, 09:21:38 AM
Hey ABC,
Are you going to make a retro coupler for the front of the 2-6-6-2s
I don't have an H4 in N scale. I currently have a 0-6-0T (Model Power), 2 4-4-0 Americans (Bachmann), 1 GP-50 (Bachmann), 3 FM H-15/16-44 (Atlas), and 1 4-8-4 Northern (Bachmann). The only locos with retro rapido couplers are the 2 Americans and the tank engine, the others have MT style (working knuckle) couplers. The Union Pacific 4-4-0 only pulls my UP old-time coaches and the Central Pacific American only pulls my CP old-time coaches. My ATSF 0-6-0T only pulls the 5 cars and the caboose that came in the set. I do however have 2 2-6-6-2s in HO, 1 Mantua & 1 Bachmann.

cec209

Are these new couplers body mount or truck mount?

ABC

I am pretty sure they are body mounted.

donfrey

I realize these are new, and probably won't be available for some time as separate parts or separate accessories.  Has consideration been given to making adapters for converting the older Rapido truck-mounted couplers, or will draft gear boxes be made available in the event they can be body-mounted?  In any event, this is a good step forward on Bachmann's part, and further cements the idea that converting old cars and locos to knuckle couplers is the ONLY way to go.
:)

sirenwerks

So how do these compare in actual size and reliability to MT's Magnematics, Athearn's new McHenry, and Atlas' Accumates and in compatibility to the three mentioned?

And the answer to the above is favorable, how long until we see bulk packs?

ABC

The Bachmann operating knuckle couplers are completely compatible with MT, McHenry, and Accumate couplers. They are one pre-assembled piece, unlike some of the others that come in two pieces and require minor assembly. As far as I can tell, they are only body-mount, but may be possible to use them with talgo trucks with modifications.